Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4875 - 02/12/06 06:37 PM Engine knock
G. Gallant Offline
Loc: Calgary, alberta
Good day everyone, I have been hearing what sounds like a slight knock in my engine. It does it when I rev the engine, and when I accelerate slowly. Can't tell if its there at a hard accelerate due to loud engine.

It seems to be coming from the passenger side, low on the engine. It's a 97 3.8 V6. Asked a mechanic, he said it was probably carbon build up . Any ideas what else it could be? Everything is tight under the hood.
#4876 - 02/13/06 11:58 AM Re: Engine knock
classicGTP Offline
Loc: Madison OH
Dude I hope that you dont have the same problem that I had. Is the Knocking getting worse? Is it getting louder? I had the same thing on my 97, but I dont want to say the worse until everything else has been exhausted.
#4877 - 02/13/06 08:30 PM Re: Engine knock
G. Gallant Offline
some days it seems like it gets worse, other days its barely noticable. It appears that I notice it more when the engine is warmed up. btw, what was causing you car to act like this????? And how bad was it? frown
#4878 - 02/14/06 01:03 PM Re: Engine knock
BRYAN Offline
Loc: DAYTONA BEACH FLORIDA
Dosen't sound good. Carbon knock normally goes away kind of quick.
U-BEND & CAT DELETE
PCM
18" GUN METAL DRAG WHEELS
245-40ZR-18 FALCONS
#4879 - 02/14/06 02:02 PM Re: Engine knock
classicGTP Offline
I spun 4 of the 6 connecting rod bearings. Mine started faint and got really bad. I dont know about yours but I would get it checked out quick. I had to replace the connecting rods the crank...it was a mess, I guess what I am trying to say is get it checked out. You know what is funny though, the only way I know that I spun the bearings was taking the engine out...so I hope that yours is an easy fix.
#4880 - 02/14/06 07:14 PM Re: Engine knock
bonniz02 Offline
Loc: northern california
i complained about a slight engine knock or ticking sound a few weeks ago and i found out just today that my Gaskets in the lower part of my engine are leaking and they'll try to fix it it'll cost about a G and they said (Let's hope we caught it in time otherwise I'll be buying a new engine)well any how i heard this noise when I'd step on the gas it would speed up and was getting louder the Pontiac place said if i keep running it I'll for sure blow my motor I hope this helps you out !
#4881 - 02/14/06 08:00 PM Re: Engine knock
G. Gallant Offline
Thanks for the info, hopefully it won't be that bad, I guess I'll take it to the shop & see what the mech. says!!!! confused
#4882 - 02/14/06 08:55 PM Re: Engine knock
classicGTP Offline
Just remember dont always think the worse because it may not be the problem but plan for it anyways.
#4883 - 02/15/06 08:02 PM Re: Engine knock
bonniz02 Offline
Loc: northern california
i just got my car back today from the Pontiac place and my boots were leaking and various other things i ended up paying a "G" i also found out my axle is bad i have to take my car in for that appt; next tuesday ......I also bought rims and the guys who mounted them for me told me I have 10% left on my rear disc brakes "WOW"!i mean i just forked out a "G" and those Pontiac people didnt check my brakes and they was supposed to do a whole car inspection i mean isn't that what we pay them for?!i hope the coolant and stuff was replaced properly!