Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47696 - 10/28/06 03:06 AM Help on Project GTP Coupe 99
20gtp02 Offline
So my buddy in town has a 99 gtp coupe with 145k. I was telling him about this forum and he was telling me about his car issues. He like my gf say I am obsessed about the site (but whatever) trying to help him out. I told him to bring the car by so we can check it out. He just had the trans drained and said he was leaking alot. His engine temperature was hitting the RED on the gage also. So I put it up on some ramps and began to investigate. OMG! What a disgrace to GP owners. He said he was going to sell it awhile back. I told him to inform me because some folks on the forum are interested in gtp's. Under the hood is filth and some crazy rigged up electrical mess and, leaks, all kinds of trouble. Well we get up under there and find out that 4 of the 20 bolts are missing from the pan. Not GOOOD! I am trying to search for the bolt size so we can get it Saturday and start helping this car out. I can't find the size anywhere but the head being 10mm. The oil valve gaskets are leaking also. I checked out his coolant and he was dry. Filled that up with the Dex Cool I had from my thermostat swap. I had a drop in K&N filter sitting in a cabinet I dropped in for him so at least the car can breath fresh air if anything. He has neons under his car that are jacked up I have to take off. Need to clean the engine bay. I have work to do to this car. I will be needing some questions answered I bet. I will be taking some before and after shots. After putting in the coolant car was at normal temps. Main thing is finding those bolts. He says things are fine. I say sure until you drop 1500 or so getting new tranny. He asks "where is a good place to go to get my windows retinted?" I was like save the money and help your ride. I don't get what happened at this auto shop he went to but he got screwed on his trans drain and fill. He said he usually has engine light on but someone disconected it or switched it off. I scanned his car (did not have time to fool around) but I only got one code which was MILCC (engine light disconnect) How do I fix or investigate this? If I forgot something I will post soon (it is 3am, tired).

#47697 - 10/28/06 05:22 AM Re: Help on Project GTP Coupe 99
2001GT-20 Offline
Loc: Washington
hope your friend isnt the origional owner.. no
#47698 - 10/28/06 10:50 AM Re: Help on Project GTP Coupe 99
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
and some crazy rigged up electrical mess
That's just bad news right there.
Did he buy the car like that or was this some work of his own doing?

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#47699 - 10/28/06 10:52 AM Re: Help on Project GTP Coupe 99
20gtp02 Offline
I believe he said he has it from beginning. More looks like he had people do stuff did not give a damn.
What is that site or the name of the guy I think Hercman posted for parts. Supposedly nice guy who can get you what you want.

#47700 - 10/28/06 11:24 AM Re: Help on Project GTP Coupe 99
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
I believe he said he has it from beginning. More looks like he had people do stuff did not give a damn.
What is that site or the name of the guy I think Hercman posted for parts. Supposedly nice guy who can get you what you want.
Here ya go: http://moradpartscompany.com/ Good Luck! cheers

Edited to add: The trans pan bolt size should be M 6 x 1.0 x 17.0 I hate it when people lose bolts, and don't replace them! Buncha' hacks!
MIL light: First thing to do is make sure the bulb and socket haven't been removed (you'd be surprised) and go from there. Hope that helps!
#47701 - 10/28/06 01:50 PM Re: Help on Project GTP Coupe 99
20gtp02 Offline
Yah, Trouble finding the bolts. Got some M 6 x 1.0 x 16.0 at advance. All was around, the dealer did not have it either. The temp is staying normal now.