Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106943 - 11/03/06 11:35 PM magnum
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
So today a driver (I work at fedex) saw my car and told me that he had a magnum and how it would blow my doors off in a race. (He has an SXT with the 3.5L V6) I having a GT wouldnt be surprised if his car is faster. He kept going on and on about how much faster his car is and how much better it is. He said he took it to the strip and ran an 18 sec 1/4 mile with the windows down, then took another run with the windows up and did a 15 sec 1/4 @ 99mph. Would your windows down make you 3 sec. slower? Anyone know what a typical 1/4 mile time is for a GT?

Now I'm a huge dodge fan, I like dodge more than any GM company but dodge doesnt really have any good cars, thats why I bought a GP. I humored him for a little while, then he toddles off and to show me the raw power of his car he peals out of the parking lot. All this from an over weight, 50 something year old man.
#106944 - 11/04/06 12:28 AM Re: magnum
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Well.... Let me say that a 15.XX@99MPH is not likely unless he's got a monster turbo that doesn't spool until the last 1/2 of the track.

FWIW... I run 98-99MPH, but I'm in the 13.9ET range.... Give or take a couple tenths.

Not sure on the window thing, but an educated guess would lead me to believe that windows down on a 15 second car would not slow it down by 3 seconds.

If he's got time slips, I wouldn't argue with him, but in my mind I would question the timing system.... The only way you will be able to shut him up is to meet him at the track.

http://pdxcgp.com
#106945 - 11/04/06 12:29 AM Re: magnum
20gtp02 Offline
They let him run with the windows down?

#106946 - 11/04/06 12:42 AM Re: magnum
crimpton Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
They let him run with the windows down?
I wasn't going to say anything.......

Some tracks don't abide by all the rules all the time, but 20gtp02 brings up a safety issue that is usually followed... Not sure if it's an NHRA rule but all the tracks I go to, you MUST have the windows rolled up.
Please don't start asking questions about convertables because I'm not real educated on all the rules.

#106947 - 11/04/06 12:45 AM Re: magnum
brown Offline
That is what he told me. I really wasnt going to get into it with him, because he was leaving for the day and my shift was about to start. I didnt have time to race him, nor do I really want to. I'm not much of a street racer...mainly for fear that I'm gonna break something on my car that I do not have the money to fix. I did tell him that I thought I might get off quicker just cuz his car has an extra 400lbs or so, but I didnt think that i would beat him.

Oh, he did say "wait til I get 24's on this thing and you'll see how fast she goes." Wouldnt 24'' chromes only weigh the car down even more?

I'm trying not to turn this into one of those "who do you think would win in a race" threads, cuz those are annoying. I just thought it was kinda funny that a guy called me out on my car.
#106948 - 11/04/06 12:48 AM Re: magnum
20gtp02 Offline
I think just the size of 24s (if talking about rims) would slow that car down considerably.

#106949 - 11/04/06 01:08 AM Re: magnum
crimpton Offline
Yes, larger rims will slow a car down, but evidently not as much as the windows being down..... wink

If this really bothers you, you should make a date for the track... If he declines, tell him to STFU!

I've got a guy in a wholesale house that I goto that is always telling me how fast his Mustang is.. I finally told him that until he meets me at the track, I don't want to hear anymore.. I don't care who wins!!! Just STFU until you can make it to the track.

#106950 - 11/04/06 01:09 AM Re: magnum
20gtp02 Offline
That's what I would say also. Nothing more annoying than bragging about some numbers.

#106951 - 11/04/06 04:16 AM Re: magnum
1997grandprixgtpsaginawmi Offline
Loc: Saginaw MI
lol you work at fedex dude lol, thats where i used to work. I worked at the saginaw branch. Its a real crap whole. I did the 3rd shift job unloading trucks. It was the crappiest thing I ever had to do. Did it for almost 1.5 years and now im a unemployed college lose lol ahha.
#106952 - 11/04/06 08:38 AM Re: magnum
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Your name is BROWN and you work at FEDEX.

lol

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#106953 - 11/04/06 08:46 AM Re: magnum
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Quote:
Originally posted by brown:
I did tell him that I thought I might get off quicker just cuz his car has an extra 400lbs or so, but I didnt think that i would beat him.
Wow, I didn't realize hot air could weigh so much... wink

Don't let him get to ya, brown. He's passing through his second childhood, and in the biggest race of his life...with himself, trying to recapture his misspent youth. I watched my boss go through it, and it was quite a sight to see! laugh He was in competition with the guy across the street, who was always bragging about how much money he has, or property he owns, or what have you.
When they figure out how to take it with them into the next life, I'll start building my pyramid, and moving my stuff into it.. wink
#106954 - 11/04/06 09:27 AM Re: magnum
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Well for GT's me and my firend went to the track, and his car as just about the same mods as I except his car is tuned and he runs 15.10 @ 87mph with a 2.0 60' And I run just a slet bit higher with a 15.78. So for a Magum Vs GP GT it would be intresting..

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#106955 - 11/04/06 10:20 AM Re: magnum
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
It sounds to me like he hasnt owned a newer model car for some time and now that he has his new toy he thinks its the fastest thing on wheels...probably because its a rocketship compared to the POS he used to own. My wife gets all antsy and takes a death grip on the door handle when I pull onto the highway under full throttle...I've told her many times "honey, dont be spooked, wait until I own a truly fast car, then you can be spooked"

this co-worker of your probably wanted a Hemi Magnum but settled for the 3.5 instead (in his brain an almost hemi)...he has probably looked at specs and seen that his 3.5 makes 50 more hp than your 3.8 so he is ever so sure that makes his car 3 seconds faster.

I know where youre coming from cuz I'm a dodge fan myself and I wouldnt mind owning a magnum for a daily driver. I think its the best looking wagon ever and would be a very useful ride. I would most likely opt for an AWD model....at any rate, the otherguys are right, screw all this talk and streetlight grudge match crap...if he is so sure its a rocket then pull out time slip or put that beast on the track...my guess is that he will never show.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#106956 - 11/04/06 01:59 PM Re: magnum
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
sounds more like he's not too confident in his purchase. Possibly a self-esteem problem.
#106957 - 11/04/06 03:35 PM Re: magnum
brown Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by AustinGTP:
Your name is BROWN and you work at FEDEX. lol
I'm frequently asked why I work at fedex if my last name is brown, then the follow up question is "what can brown do for you"? I tell them that UPS pays less and is unionized so you get even less of your check, and as for what I can do for you, as little as possible.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1997grandprixgtpsaginawmi:
lol you work at fedex dude lol, thats where i used to work. I worked at the saginaw branch. Its a real crap whole. I did the 3rd shift job unloading trucks. It was the crappiest thing I ever had to do. Did it for almost 1.5 years and now im a unemployed college lose lol ahha.
yeah I work at the Ann Arbor terminal. It sucks. I unload trucks too. Probably many more than you did up in saginaw, but w/e. It pays the bills, and I'm always looking for a better job.