Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#79308 - 03/14/07 11:16 PM zzp pcm
BLEWGTP Offline
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
this is for everyone with an aftermarket pcm...is it really worth the 200 bucks to get one? i refuse to give them my core, so im looking at 200 shipped...should i spend it on the wheels im looking at, or get the pcm...what makes it so worth the money? thanks guys, you rock!

o, and my new crossdrilled rotors rock, but dont stop all that great...is that because im using my old delco pads on them, or is that just how they are...i dont get the old brake fade like i used to, and there better in the rain, but it takes more pressure to stop than it used to...
thanks again!
-dan
#79309 - 03/14/07 11:59 PM Re: zzp pcm
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
um... you're supposed to get new pads too. The D/S rotors wear with the new pads so I'll bet that's the problem. Most of your actual stopping power is in the pads, so new rotors alone won't make a big difference. The D/S rotors just dissapate heat better and shed away water, dirt and brake dust much better than stock. Def. pick up some new pads

About the PCM, get on eBay, or contact morad about getting a core PCM. I've seen them on eBay for $50 shipped, then ZZP's is $80 plus shipping, so there's another $60-70 you save, and you can always sell the stock core PCM when you get yours back.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#79310 - 03/15/07 12:16 AM Re: zzp pcm
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by BLEWGTP:
this is for everyone with an aftermarket pcm...is it really worth the 200 bucks to get one? i refuse to give them my core, so im looking at 200 shipped...should i spend it on the wheels im looking at, or get the pcm...what makes it so worth the money? thanks guys, you rock!

o, and my new crossdrilled rotors rock, but dont stop all that great...is that because im using my old delco pads on them, or is that just how they are...i dont get the old brake fade like i used to, and there better in the rain, but it takes more pressure to stop than it used to...
thanks again!
-dan
The PCM won't gain much in the 1/4 mile, but I love the response from the Butt Dyno.

The drilled rotors are doing exactly what they are designed to do....
Quote:
i dont get the old brake fade like i used to, and there better in the rain
The reason you need more pedal is because you lose, what 5%(guess) of your braking surface because of the holes, there for requiring 5% more pedal to make up for it.

http://pdxcgp.com
#79311 - 03/15/07 06:19 AM Re: zzp pcm
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
The PCM is definately worth it. Just by putting it in it feels like you did more work then you did.

As for your brakes change your pads to some good high performance pads.
#79312 - 03/15/07 12:19 PM Re: zzp pcm
BLEWGTP Offline
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
any suggestions on pads? maybe hawks? i no i need ceramics, but thats about it...
#79313 - 03/15/07 12:40 PM Re: zzp pcm
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
Hawks are good but any high quality pad will work well. I used the Duralast Gold from AutoZone on mine and I've had no problems, in fact the brakes are fantastic.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#79314 - 03/16/07 06:54 AM Re: zzp pcm
xXAbercrombie05 Offline
Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
i dont know what others on the forums think of them, but ive got raybestos ceramics and they ROCK, they are awesome with stock rotors...so check them out too
-----------------------------------
#79315 - 03/16/07 11:45 AM Re: zzp pcm
02GTPRD Offline
Loc: Canton, MI
I don't mean to steal the thread but since the subject is ZZP PCM which i have a question about there is no pt. starting a new one.

I have an 02 and now they have the performance shift built in to the PCM but you can suggest to have a wire to turn it on or off. Here are my questions:

Would it be better to have the option of turning it on or off? because i don't race all the time... only when i pull up to someone who thinks they are sweet.
Would it help MPG and transmission life to be able to turn it off since it increases the line pressure?
Can you turn it on and off while driving?

Flowmaster Super 40's, Dual Slash Exhaust tips, Silver Mesh Grill, 7" K&N Filter, 3" ZZP Offroad Pipe
#79316 - 03/16/07 01:41 PM Re: zzp pcm
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
The only thing the switch controls on the ZZP PCM is the tranny parameters. I personally leave mine activated all the time. You won't cause any harm driving with it constantly on.
#79317 - 03/16/07 07:20 PM Re: zzp pcm
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
The difference is mainly shift tables and line pressures. With a proper tune, the non-perf shift tables can be tuned for MPG and the perf shift tables for performance. That way you get even better dual use from your vehicle.

Perf shift is a 'shift on the fly' thing.