Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136407 - 05/25/07 02:01 AM 3" D/P Installed. Sort of.
Kev-GTP Offline
Loc: Dallas, Tx
Hey whats up guys

So I just got done installing the D/P, and let me tell ya, it wasn't what I thought it was going to be.

The bolts right behind the u-bend came off somewhat easily, and one of the bolts behind the exhaust manifold came off suprisingly easily, and the other, half-way into, snapped clean off. The bolt was still in the flange and out the other side. So I tried to drill it out. That took all of about an hour to do. Once I got the bolt drilled out I decided to just use a good old nut and bolt, which tightening wasn't a walk in the park.

So I got the o2 sensor back in and tightened, all of the bolts good and tight, and I was all set. I decided to take it on a little spin to see how it felt. First off it sounds really cool now, it made a significant difference in the sound. So the ride went good and I'm on my way home and I give it one more WOT run and I hear a very loud leak. My brother was in the car and he heard it too. So we got back, the gasket on the back of the exhaust manifold was smoking, and we determined that thats where it came from.

These ARE new gaskets that I ordered with the D/P so I guess I didn't tighten them all the way? Could it be something else? I was too frustrated to work on it any more, plus I would have to let everything cool off again. I just don't know what to do guys. Hit me with any imput you might have.
#136408 - 05/25/07 08:28 AM Re: 3" D/P Installed. Sort of.
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Loose bolts can cause you to Burn up the exaughst gaskets. Thats more then likely the cause...
#136409 - 05/25/07 12:12 PM Re: 3" D/P Installed. Sort of.
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
did you use threadlocker on the bolts?
#136410 - 05/25/07 06:05 PM Re: 3" D/P Installed. Sort of.
20gtp02 Offline
I believe after its first use of heat, you should go back and tighten it again. I know the dude who did mine, used some rtv on the gasket to keep things snug.

#136411 - 05/25/07 06:40 PM Re: 3" D/P Installed. Sort of.
Kev-GTP Offline
UPDATE:

So I tried taking everything apart and re-doing it, to make sure I got everything good and tight. This time I tightened it to the point where you couldn't tighten it anymore. It still leaked. So I gave up and took it to the local exhaust shop and the guy told me I need a new gasket b/c the one on there isn't right. So I called my dad up and it turns out my dad had a gasket down at the Caddy/Pontiac/GMC dealership. So I went down there to pick it up. He put the OEM gasket on there, and it works beautifully. I don't get it.

My car feels and sounds awesome now so...no worries.
#136412 - 05/25/07 07:34 PM Re: 3" D/P Installed. Sort of.
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
I would e-mail ZZP and get your money back for the gasket.

Do you have a pic of the gasket?
#136413 - 05/25/07 09:26 PM Re: 3" D/P Installed. Sort of.
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Yea I had a problem with the gasket that ZZP gave me too and I had to go to my local parts store and get the OEM one. I emailed them about it and they just sent me the money I paid for it minus shipping.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#136414 - 05/25/07 09:52 PM Re: 3" D/P Installed. Sort of.
Kev-GTP Offline
My dad probably paid 2 bucks for the thing. He gets a discount on all GM parts, and I'm pretty sure he just paid cost for it, so I'm not gonna even worry about it. I'm just happy my D/P is in and working properly.
#136415 - 05/25/07 11:22 PM Re: 3" D/P Installed. Sort of.
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Well, I'm glad you figured it out. When I did my D/P, the gasket cost me freakin' $16 from the GM dealer. They were the ONLY place in town that had it though.

Funny story... the guy at the parts counter tried to tell me that the manifold to D/P gasket was for non-supercharged engines only, and L67s didn't have that gasket. WTF??? He brought out the downpipe to catback gasket telling me that was the gasket I needed. I finally gave up, brought in the old gasket, and the new downpipe and showed him what was goin' down. Guy was a freakin' idiot, what a waste of space.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#136416 - 05/26/07 12:55 AM Re: 3" D/P Installed. Sort of.
Kev-GTP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by drummerboy1307:
Well, I'm glad you figured it out. When I did my D/P, the gasket cost me freakin' $16 from the GM dealer. They were the ONLY place in town that had it though.

Funny story... the guy at the parts counter tried to tell me that the manifold to D/P gasket was for non-supercharged engines only, and L67s didn't have that gasket. WTF??? He brought out the downpipe to catback gasket telling me that was the gasket I needed. I finally gave up, brought in the old gasket, and the new downpipe and showed him what was goin' down. Guy was a freakin' idiot, what a waste of space.
Thanks dude.

Yeah the dude behind the counter at the dealership showed me a diagram of the rear of the L67, and it showed every single part of the exhaust and some other stuff. All I had to do was go "That one" and he went and got it. lol

But yeah its really cool, can't wait to get 50 bucks and buy my T-stat and ZZP HID kit.