Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#17324 - 06/18/07 05:03 PM Anyone know how good of a job Tuffy does?
02GTPRD Offline
Loc: Canton, MI
My original estimate to get a new AC condenser (old one is cracked), intake manifold gaskets, and valve covers was around $1,400 (w/ parts & labor). I desperately need the air working again since i have a black car w/ black interior. Guy at Tuffy said he can beat any price. I went and got an estimate from a very small shop for $925 took it to Tuffy and he said he would do it for $875. Anyone had any experience with Tuffy?

Thanks,
Ryan

Flowmaster Super 40's, Dual Slash Exhaust tips, Silver Mesh Grill, 7" K&N Filter, 3" ZZP Offroad Pipe
#17325 - 06/18/07 06:07 PM Re: Anyone know how good of a job Tuffy does?
*Nice-Try* Offline
Loc: Kitchener, Ontario
for the extra $50 I would stick with the local small shop! Keep them alive!
#17326 - 06/19/07 12:05 AM Re: Anyone know how good of a job Tuffy does?
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
word up on that... they probably don't get too much business and they usually do the best work... you could save yourself alotta money though by doing at least the gaskets on your own.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#17327 - 06/19/07 01:34 AM Re: Anyone know how good of a job Tuffy does?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
its been my experience that most of the Tuffy shops are local owned franchises...so it all depends on the guy who runs the show...they can vary widely. I personally have a local shop I deal with almost exclusively simply because he has earned my trust. He doesnt do appointments, only 1st come 1st served. He doesnt do mass sales and newspaper ads,just word of mouth and he stays busy everyday. I figure folks must be happy with him or he wouldnt still be there. Honest guys in the car game are hard to find.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#17328 - 06/21/07 07:03 PM Re: Anyone know how good of a job Tuffy does?
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
Honest guys in the car game are almost non-existant.

I was at my mechanic getting AC work done. They cut me all sorts of deals.

Well, I stood there in horror as all of them lied their butts off to an old schoolmate of mine. They were going on about loose tie-rod bushings.

I don't even think they were loose. It was like a mid 90's Caddy with online 40k on the clock cause it was owned by some old goemer.

And I don't want to bring up my trip to Gentile Automotive. I was there with my mother-in-law and this guys was smooth like ice.

At least, my mother thought so.

He just irritated me. The kind of irritate where you want to hit them with that keyboard they are typing on. And then use their various desktop nick-nacks to cause serious bodily harm to them.

I'm not crazy, right?

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me