Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108710 - 08/29/07 08:12 PM Starting problem found, more arise
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
And our winner is... *drum roll*

A shreaded wiring harness! *cheers, applause*

Y'know the wiring harness that runs from the coil packs, down to the crank/cam sensors? The one that runs behind and *very* close to the serpentine belt?

Well, the belt shreaded through the harness and has de-insulated a few wires. I'm debating just buying a new harness because those wires are tiny.

On top of now knowing the problem, a bunch of new ones have arrived?

Onmy way to school the car threw a P1133 code, which the only info I can find on it is that it's an O2 code. And if it means I need to replace my front O2 I'm going to ******* SNAP! I am NOT taking off those clamps and Y-pipe.

Also, the car is becoming increasingly difficult to drive. under acceleration, the car seems to lean back a LOT, like put tons of torque on the ground with rear-wheel drive a lot. And that's jsut normal driving.

And cornering at freeway speeds feels loose and shakey too, but mostly only turning in one direction.

And THEN, ontop of all that, my tranny/torque converter is toast, I have to push it WAY farther than I should ever have to, just to get up to normal speeds.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#108711 - 08/29/07 08:34 PM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
well. How many of the wires are cut? and did you find out why they hit the belt?

Why do you have to take all of the clamps off to get to the o2 sensor? just unscrew it out?

As for the car squatting, time for some new struts. and welcome to the world of power
#108712 - 08/29/07 08:35 PM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Hey, ummmm I have an extra! from my '00 GT, its the one that bolts onto the coil packs, and run down to the sensors, and then connect to the harness at the top
#108713 - 08/29/07 08:44 PM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
Chunkee Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
...Chunkee runs out to check his wiring harness cause now he is paranoid...
#108714 - 08/29/07 08:51 PM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Yup, that'll do it! Glad you found your problem. smile
#108715 - 08/29/07 10:50 PM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
lonezergling Offline
I'd love to just "unscrew" the O2 sensor out bu the rest of the car is in the way.

"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#108716 - 08/29/07 10:53 PM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by lonezergling:
And our winner is... *drum roll*

A shreaded wiring harness! *cheers, applause*

A drum roll is very appropriate considering my screen name, and since that was my guess! Heh...I only figured that's what it was, because I did it too

'97 SE with alot of mods
#108717 - 08/30/07 12:34 AM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
20gtp02 Offline
I spliced like 8 back together on my buddies 99 when his car overheated and the radiator snout burned through a bunch of the wires running right behind the damn thing.

#108718 - 08/30/07 01:24 AM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
lonezergling Offline
I'd splice them if they weren't both so *tiny* and in a hard to reach place.

I'm not even sure I can remove enough sensors to GET at the damaged section without taking off the balancer, which I really don't want to do.

If you want an idea, go to the passenger side of the car. Look through that space between the 3 S/C idler/tensioner/ribbed pulleys. There's a wire harness running back in there. That's where it was rubbing. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

#108719 - 08/30/07 02:59 AM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
drummerboy1307 Offline
you don't have to remove the balancer to unplug the wire harness. I would just take it off your car and repair it, really it's not difficult

'97 SE with alot of mods
#108720 - 08/30/07 04:09 AM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
lonezergling Offline
I was just worried that the plug for the CPS sensor was far enough under the balancer that you couldn't get at it, but I guess my thoughts are mute.

Tomorrow I'm going to;

-fix the harness
-paint my intake green wink
-see about replacing the O2 sensor
-put my 3.5" MPS on.
-SEND THE PULLER BACK!

#108721 - 08/30/07 09:25 AM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by lonezergling:
I'd love to just "unscrew" the O2 sensor out bu the rest of the car is in the way.
what are you talking about? the 02 sensor is on the y collector. access is not difficult at all.

Dont go through the car.
Go under it.
#108722 - 08/30/07 09:53 AM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
Zerg, can you take a pic of the harness where it is right now? I have a feeling it might've been routed the wrong way.

That harness should never be close enough to anything to get shredded...

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#108723 - 08/31/07 01:31 AM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
lonezergling Offline
It was touching the accessory belt just about 6 inches to the right and an inch about the water pump.

It's kind running... perpindicular to the Acc. belt where it goes from the A/C to the Alt

I ran it BELOW the coil bracket I'll net some pics tomorrow if ya want.

But I put some electrical tape around the fried wires, and zip-tied it tighter up front so they wouldn't touch anymore.

Also got my MPS on and holy ****! I completely lose tractions with about 30% throttle.

I mean, not just squak the tires, I'm talking "will not stop spinning unless I let off the gas" losing traction.

AND, that's with the stock S/C belt because they wouldn't have the right one until Thur afternoon.

And yes, the O2 sensor is in the Y collector. In the side of it. With the back of the connector about 1/2 an inch from the body of the car.

#108724 - 08/31/07 10:40 AM Re: Starting problem found, more arise
drummerboy1307 Offline
Time for an updated sig, and a run to the dragstrip!!

BTW the stock SC belt will work fine, you don't need to buy a smaller one.

'97 SE with alot of mods
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >