Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64991 - 12/20/07 07:57 PM A/C compressor question
randys100 Offline
Loc: Macomb, MI
Hey guys,
I just had a new A/C compressor installed today and noticed a loud grinding noise (don’t know how else to describe it) after the compressor has been engaged for the first 10-15 secs. The noise is pretty violent and shakes the vehicle. Any idea what would be causing that? Other than that the new compressor works fine.

Thanks in advance!
#64992 - 12/20/07 07:59 PM Re: A/C compressor question
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Sounds like its bogging down the engine... Whoever did the install DID oil the compressor, right?

Might wanna take it back and find out whats going on.
#64993 - 12/20/07 08:03 PM Re: A/C compressor question
randys100 Offline
Yeah, I was told they oiled the new compressor. Guess I'll give 'em a call tomorrow. Bad thing is I purchased the compressor myself and had a shop do the install.... Just my luck
#64994 - 12/20/07 08:10 PM Re: A/C compressor question
randys100 Offline
I was also wondering could this be caused by unwanted air in the system? Perhaps a further vacuum purge on the system is needed?
#64995 - 12/20/07 08:12 PM Re: A/C compressor question
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I doubt it. Sounds like something with the compressor or could be a belt slipping. As long as that shop is reliable, I would say take it back to them and get their opinion on it as well.
#64996 - 12/20/07 11:11 PM Re: A/C compressor question
Richard Candelario Offline
Just had my compressor "done" by me and my trusted shop. I ordered a used compressor from Ed Morad. then had the compressor that was on my car purged. Went back to the Auto Crafts Shop to install Ed's compressor. Returned to CSR Garage to have them vacuum check, purge, and recharge the system. All that to ask: is your compressor NEW, reman, or just new to you?

If it's a new compressor, your issues might lie some where else. Maybe the tensioner pulley. Those are hard to break, but it's possible.

If the compressor is reman, new to you, or brand new, you MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT have a bad clutch assy. If that thing is seizing, it may very well be causing your other issue.

Also, over-oiling the compressor could cause a seizure as well. Think that's out of the question? What would happen to your car's engine if you overfilled the crankcase? What would happen tot he tranny if that were overfilled?

Are they sure they didnt overfill the freon? I dont know the properties of freon, but I wouldnt doubt that overfilling that could cause some bad juju.

Mind you, I am no A/C guy, so any or all my hunches may or may not be correct or wrong. Just tryin to brainstorm for ya. Good luck, and hope you find the problem soon.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC