Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147114 - 01/04/08 03:39 PM Brake Fluid Leak
tazfootball2 Offline
Loc: Westport, IN
Well i filled up my brake fluid about 3 months ago to spec. but when checked the fluids the other day i could tell that i have lost some brake fluid. I know that you shouldn't have to ever fill the brake fluid (unless to bleed them or need some because of normal loss). There is no visible leak that I could find right now. The brake lines aren't rusted. I haven't pulled the wheels off yet (with it being too cold), but could one of the calipers be leaking or something? I haven't looked that hard into it yet because it hasnt been too big of a problem right now. Also, it seems as if I have to apply the brake a little more than usual, giving that spongy feel, so that gives me the reason to believe air is getting in the brake lines, therefore there is a leak/hole somewhere. Ideas? and how would I know if one of the calipers are bad, would i just see fluid, or is there another way to check them?

#147115 - 01/04/08 03:43 PM Re: Brake Fluid Leak
20gtp02 Offline
How far did it drop?
Herman just posted that when your pads wear down more fluid sits down in the lines and caliper and doesn't get moved back to the mastercylinder, therefore a drop in brake fluidin the cylinder container. I know you did do that long road trip. That put alot of miles on it.

#147116 - 01/04/08 03:55 PM Re: Brake Fluid Leak
tazfootball2 Offline
I would say about 3-4cm from top-off. That might be the problem, cause I have a feeling that the brakes need to be changed pretty soon. Good Thought! I haven't been able to look at the brakes yet. I can't wait for SPRING to come! I just wished I had a warm garage to work in.

#147117 - 01/04/08 04:01 PM Re: Brake Fluid Leak
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
If your calipers are leaking you will see the fluid running down the inside of the tire. Without any visual evidence of leakage check all four pads for wear. If they are on the extreme wear side your fluid will be in the lines. If they are super worn then do not top off the fluiduntil you change the pads. If you top off the fluid before putting on pads when you compress the calipers you will send all that fluid back to the MC which then will be over full and will pop the lid off and send brake fluid all over the inside of the engine bay. Brake fluid and paint don't get along. If you do top it off prior to putting pads on besure to drain some out before you compress the calipers.
#147118 - 01/04/08 04:06 PM Re: Brake Fluid Leak
tazfootball2 Offline
That makes a lot of sense, now I fully understand what 20gtp02 was saying about the pad wear and fluid sitting in the lines! Thanks for the advice!