Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149208 - 02/04/08 02:42 PM New on these forums, and I have a question
showbiz Offline
Loc: Ohio
Hey, I've been lurking on these forums for quite a while and finally decided to join. I post a lot on clubgp, but lately I've had trouble on there, so I figured I'd give this place a shot.

Anyway, I have a 2000 GTP that's been acting strange lately. On a few occasions it decided not to start, but after 15 minutes of cranking it decides to randomly start for me. The last time this happened I checked for spark, and there was none. Another strange thing that has happened on 2 occasions is that my RPMs have dropped to zero and my TCS light has turned on randomly.

Now, I know that these signs point towards a CPS problem, but there are also other signs that make me think it's something else. For instance, when my car doesn't start the RPMs still fluctuate when I'm cranking, meaning it's not a CPS issue. It also seems to do both of these things randomly, a few weeks apart from eachother (and I drive around 500 miles a week).

The three times it hasn't started were all after I had run into a store and then come back to the parking lot to leave (Best Buy, Blockbuster, and Meijer), which I found very strange. I never have trouble starting it in the morning or after work, only when I've driven a short distance and shut the car off for a short period of time.

I'm thinking about having the battery checked out, but could a bad battery cause random sensor errors? Sorry for the long post, but hopefully you read it all and can help me out. Thanks in advance. thumbsup
#149209 - 02/04/08 02:57 PM Re: New on these forums, and I have a question
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Welcome aboard! My guess would be a CPS or ignition module problem.
#149210 - 02/04/08 03:08 PM Re: New on these forums, and I have a question
tazfootball2 Offline
Loc: Westport, IN
Quote:
Originally posted by showbiz:
I post a lot on clubgp, but lately I've had trouble on there
Go figure! crazy

I don't know if the alternator or starter would have something to do with the problem. Could be ignition.

WELCOME TO GPN!!!! smile

#149211 - 02/04/08 03:22 PM Re: New on these forums, and I have a question
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
I would put my finger on the CPS or the Ignition module. But leaning towards the CPS. You might want to check the tach signal wire that goes to the ignition module while you're at it.

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#149212 - 02/04/08 03:25 PM Re: New on these forums, and I have a question
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I'm also going with the CPS first.
#149213 - 02/04/08 08:15 PM Re: New on these forums, and I have a question
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
I'm saying CPS as well.

Get it replaced and see where that lands you.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me