Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#431 - 06/05/08 12:14 AM Can someone tell Me...is a stock GTP powered by a M-90 SC?
RD_GTP03 Offline
Loc: BOSTON, MA.
I was reading an article on ZZperf. and they mention something about the fact, that if an XPZ Cam Package is added to a M-90 GTP, that one can expect to gain some Amazing & Significant Power.

I confess, that I have No Clue what type of SC is stock on the GTP. And, if that Info is accurate what if any, other type of Mods would one have to make to avoid damaging the engine, with all that power?
#432 - 06/05/08 12:41 AM Re: Can someone tell Me...is a stock GTP powered by a M-90 SC?
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
Stock S/C are Eaton M90s. if you did XPZ you would need rockers, lifters, and definatly heads. id sugest going with xp cam so you dont have to invest 1500 for heads.
#433 - 06/05/08 02:19 AM Re: Can someone tell Me...is a stock GTP powered by a M-90 SC?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Well, you don't have to have the heads ported, but you will have to get them milled for valve clearance. It's also a question of drivability. The XPZ makes for a rough idle and it results in worse gas mileage, especially for city driving. The XP cam is much better suited to a daily driver.

A cam is also a big undertaking financially if you don't DIY. It can easily run you $1500 for an XP swap if someone else does the labor and you throw in tuning. It could be closer to $2k if you need the heads milled.
#434 - 06/05/08 07:37 PM Re: Can someone tell Me...is a stock GTP powered by a M-90 SC?
RD_GTP03 Offline
Hey Guys...Thank You, I get your point. But, I have a friend that's an excellent Mechanic, & he works for himself...even comes to the house & does work right in the driveway, for really Cheap.

The Only problem, I can think of...is that in order to swap Cams, one needs to remove the engine completely from the vehicle, so I Imagine he would need to have one of those engine chain hoist & support stand. Or is there some easy way to get to the Cam, without removing the engine entirely?

And, any idea what kind of HP the XP would produce? Or should I go back to ZZperf. & do some more research?
#435 - 06/05/08 08:05 PM Re: Can someone tell Me...is a stock GTP powered by a M-90 SC?
20gtp02 Offline
Not easy, but there is another way, through driver side wheel well I think. You have to disassemble some things, and tilt the motor and lift one side, and can get cam out. But it isn't easy either way. You can find some info on clubgp about that I believe.
I would strongly look into what cam you want. XPZ or XP can be little too much for a dd, it can happen, just pick your poison. Are you going for times, or just somthing that is a DD and quick at the same time.

#436 - 06/05/08 08:24 PM Re: Can someone tell Me...is a stock GTP powered by a M-90 SC?
RD_GTP03 Offline
After reading a bit more...ZZP claim that the "VS" Cam performs just as good as the "XP" but the Best Part is that it doesn't require any Mods.

They claim that the XP requires Upgraded valve springs & modified retainers, & possibly a 3.0" pulley & intercooler to achieve Max performance due to the fact, that it has a lift of more than (.515)...so, maybe the "VS" would be a Better choice for me & I wouldn't need to spend $1500. or $2K.

So, with that Info...the "True Question" is, any easy way of getting to the Cam without removing the engine completely...Stupid question? Maybe, but I am learning about Mods from you Guys, I prefer to ask...Your know-how & experiences may proof to be more useful.
#437 - 06/05/08 08:35 PM Re: Can someone tell Me...is a stock GTP powered by a M-90 SC?
RD_GTP03 Offline
Hey there 20gtp...I guess, we were both typing at the same time...didn't see your post. But, Thank You for the Info.

Now,I am not going for times...just DD & quick at the same time. And, I have decided on the "VS" insted, "No Mods" required. The other two, does require quite a bit & it would be a little much.

But, I do believe that the "VS" is best for Me, since I will Not be hitting the Tracks, any time soon.
#438 - 06/05/08 08:59 PM Re: Can someone tell Me...is a stock GTP powered by a M-90 SC?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
It is possible to do a cam swap with the motor in car. You do have to remove the passenger side tire, fender liner and I do believe you have to disconnect the motor mounts and tilt the motor up. I maybe wrong about all that needs to be done but it is doable.
#439 - 06/05/08 09:25 PM Re: Can someone tell Me...is a stock GTP powered by a M-90 SC?
20gtp02 Offline
I was going to suggest the VS. Buddy in club had one it in his monte carlo. He just rebuilt and went with XP. He did like the VS alot though. He is running fat rich now, and the XP is still performing better than VS, but you need more parts to run the XP.

#440 - 06/05/08 09:29 PM Re: Can someone tell Me...is a stock GTP powered by a M-90 SC?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Ok the VS is not as good as the XP. If you stick to stock rpms, the VS is better. If you ramp up the rpms, the XP is better. I have shift points at 6400rpm with my XP and it pulls all the way through. At those rpms, you need the higher rated springs to prevent valve float.

Take a look at some of the hp/tq curves and be sure you're positive of the cam you want for your purposes. It's not something you would want to go through twice willingly.
#441 - 06/06/08 08:21 PM Re: Can someone tell Me...is a stock GTP powered by a M-90 SC?
RD_GTP03 Offline
Hey Guys...I really appreciate all the useful info. I will pass all this info on to the mechanic, since he doesn't work out of a shop with access to the tools required for pulling out the engine. I Imagine that he just might have the know how, because he is a good mechanic that does "House-Calls", but it's still good Info for Me.

But, I have decided to go with the "VS"...after carefully reading ZZPerformance write-up on the different ones, & all the extras that the "XP" & the "XPZ" requires.

I am just a bit confused about how to actually lift/tilt the engine, without causing any damage to the linkage to the Tranny..or, should the two be pulled loose also & more importantly, can the engine be lift & tilted with just a wheeled-pneumatic jack & stands, or would I need some sort of specialized equipment?
#442 - 06/06/08 11:26 PM Re: Can someone tell Me...is a stock GTP powered by a M-90 SC?
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
To install a cam in a GP with the engine still in the car is doable you do'nt lift the engine you lower the suframe to give you access to front cover and such,the most difficult part is removeing the vibration damper,there are plenty of write ups on cam install,another option you have is doing rockers instead of cam 1.9 rockers are very close to a VS cam and if your not looking for a track car this is what I'd suggest.Chico(pops)