Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96074 - 04/16/09 08:28 PM Engine torgue strut/bracket replace quest
rocketman Offline
Loc: Rockledge, Florida
I started replacing the dogbones and the brackets on mt '98 GT today, and I have a couple of questions. I started with the passenger side setup.

(1) This doesn't appear to be a 1-person job. It looks like I'm going to have to have someone help me by rotating the engine forward slightly in order to replace the bolt where the torque strut (dogbone) attaches to the engine. Is this typical?

(2) I marked the location of the old radiator bracket before I took it off. It was a factory installed original, and it appears things were slightly off, because the dogbone was at a very slight angle. When reinstalling the new hardware, should the dogbone be perpendicular to the engine? If so, I'll have to ignore the markings I made for the original bracket location.

Thanks in advance.
#96075 - 04/16/09 08:41 PM Re: Engine torgue strut/bracket replace quest
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
If you parked on a slightly angled driveway then the engine will rock back or forward depending on the angle, that is fine. You will probably need someone to pull the motor forward.

It should be perpendicular with the motor yes. You can move the mounts side to side a bit to get them where you want, it's not as if you're motor will blow or break those mounts if they are not EXACT.
#96076 - 04/16/09 08:48 PM Re: Engine torgue strut/bracket replace quest
rocketman Offline
Thanks for the reply. My driveway is fairly level, so I'm guessing because the rubber inserts are so worn, the engine rocked back slightly when I took this one apart. It looks like it's only about 1/2 inch or less, but it's just enough to be a pain when it comes to reattaching.

I figured I might as well line them up. I come from an aviation background, so its kind of programmed into me to get things as close to perfect as humanly possible. (or, maybe its a character flaw).

Anyway, thanks for the reply...it was helpful.
#96077 - 04/16/09 09:06 PM Re: Engine torgue strut/bracket replace quest
r.s.hutchinson Offline
no problem, glad to help.

you may even want to flip those rubber bushings in the rad mounts 90* while your at it. If you look, those bushings have play forward and backward, the same way the motor rocks...if you flip them one turn then the bushing is now solid in the way that the motor rocks. This will put more torque to the wheels smile
#96078 - 04/16/09 09:15 PM Re: Engine torgue strut/bracket replace quest
rocketman Offline
What an interesting idea. I'll have to take a look at that.

Thanks.
#96079 - 04/16/09 09:18 PM Re: Engine torgue strut/bracket replace quest
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Take the dogbone off and then put the bolt through and tighten it as much as you can. Spray alot of WD 40 in their and put to big ratchets on the ends of the bolt and nut. Then keep turning and spray more wd 40 in there. It is a bit difficult but can be done.
#96080 - 04/17/09 07:26 PM Re: Engine torgue strut/bracket replace quest
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
It should be easy to reattach, the engine is easy to rock back and forth, you just need to rock it forward a little while you slide the first bolt in, the second one will be even easier.
#96081 - 04/19/09 07:50 PM Re: Engine torgue strut/bracket replace quest
Richard Candelario Offline
I had done the dog bones just a few days ago, and the only problem I had was that the driver's side bracket had a sensor over one of the bolts that I dont have a wrench for. Otherwise, it was fairly easy to rock the engine forward while trying to pin the bone, solo. You'd figure it be MUCH harder to move several hundred pounds than that. Good luck!

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC