Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107288 - 08/11/09 07:25 PM Audio questions
codyAK Offline
Loc: Eagle River, AK
Alright, so a friend of my dad's gave me a set of boston acoustic 6x9's when he was moving. Cool, I thought.. Searched around here figured out how to get to the speakers, pulled the seat out and all, and installed the speakers, left was blown.. so now I see why he just gave them to me (how nice).
I decided after doing the work, getting to the speakers and all, I'd just buy some. So I shopped around, ended up ordering some 6x9 Rockford Fosgate Punch speakers (P1694C). I decided I wanted something more up front too, and I had read I could put in the 6.5's so I ordered 6.5" Infinity Reference Component system (6020cs).
I'm wondering how much I'll have to do to get the 6.5" in? Is there a write-up or anything, or will it be pretty simple?

Also I'm going to add a head unit, but I'm not sure which yet, I want something that should power these speakers fairly well, also ipod connection(aux) would be nice. I think I might add an amp, and a sub or two in the future as well.. Oh, and I'm hoping to spend not much more than $100-150 on the head unit if possible.
With the head unit, since we have a din and a half slot, I was searching around for a nice flushmount adapter, and I found the lit Grand Prix one(humount.com), but I can't get the site to work?.. Is it down or something?.
(Noticed on their main page just now: - "Please note that we will be closed from Aug 8 to Aug 23").. Does anyone know of another place?
Any other advice is welcome, thanks a lot.
#107289 - 08/11/09 11:04 PM Re: Audio questions
notladstyle Offline
Loc: Tampa FL
Metra makes a flush mount kit identical to the HUMount kit but minus the laser etching. but I always thought having a HU kit that says "GRAND PRIX" is like civic fags with window decals that say "HONDA"
#107290 - 08/11/09 11:12 PM Re: Audio questions
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
Isn't there bracket that converts it to 6.5" from the 5 1/4? I prefer the 5 1/4, i have Infinity References powered by an Alpine 4 channel and they sound really nice.

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#107291 - 08/12/09 02:33 AM Re: Audio questions
98greenGT Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
There are no brackets that I know of the convert the 5.25" to a 6.5" but you can modify the stock brackets to fit the larger speakers. I did this with my car with good results but it depends a lot on your speakers. I know a lot of people on CGP have made their own custom brackets for the larger speakers.

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab
Stock, LineX, 212K
#107292 - 08/12/09 10:23 AM Re: Audio questions
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by notladstyle:
Metra makes a flush mount kit identical to the HUMount kit but minus the laser etching. but I always thought having a HU kit that says "GRAND PRIX" is like civic fags with window decals that say "HONDA"
The same "fags" that put leds all over their car?

As what 98greengt said, you can modify your stock housings.
#107293 - 08/12/09 11:46 AM Re: Audio questions
black99gtp Offline
Loc: Chicago Suburbs
Quote:
Originally posted by notladstyle:
I have the humount flushmount kit that lights up red to match the rest of the interior, and I've had so many complements on how clean it looks and that it looks stock and came like that.

#107294 - 08/12/09 11:57 AM Re: Audio questions
black99gtp Offline
Loc: Chicago Suburbs
as far as the head unit, I have the alpine 9884, you can change the lights so they all light up red, and it comes with a direct connection cable for an ipod, or you can get a basic auxilary cable to hook up any mp3 player directly

here's a couple of bad pics, hope they help at least a little bit, looks a lot better in person or with a good camera

in the 2nd pic the grand prix gtp lit up and some of the buttons look yellow, that's just the flash (i should have shut it off), they're actually red
the 9884 is tough to find now, but i think there's a few more alpine models for around 150 that look very similar and have the same color/sound options