Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28727 - 12/20/09 04:10 AM Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
Ever since I saw the thread where someone made a trash can heat shield box I had wanted to do it. For $5 dollars I didn't think I could go wrong. I decided to undergo it. I didn't want to get an aftermarket one because they are too expensive, and I didn't want to have a HAI as it looks bad and isn't separated by anything from the engine bay. *I do not claim any gains from this mod as I feel it is more for looks then anything*

Just to show you how far this intake setup has come I will post the pre-heatsheild setup I had before it.

So now lets forget the old setup...time for the new.

I started out by first going to my local kmart (only thing near my home in small town iowa) and found a black small trash can. I also got a small 3" section of piping that has clamps on both ends, smooth inner wall, and was 5 dollars and a Spectre Filter. In all it costed me around 35ish dollars for everything.

Once I got the materials I started a crude cut of the fit and how I wanted it to look, and made a hole using a compass and cut it out. To cut I simply used some tin cutters and a ruler and a pencil to draw in where i wanted my cut marks. I took plenty of time in my cutting, but it is very short from perfect. I'm sure someone could do better then I did in this stage, but I was limited on tools.

From here I just fiddled around with what fit best. It took several attempts to get the airbox cut to the correct size and where I wanted it to be. I tried to position mine as far away from any heat source as I possibly could.

Once I got it into correct position I did some final trimming and made holes so I could zip-tie the heat shield in. I used 3 holes (if someone wants pictures of how I did this I can get close ups). The center hole holds up the filter so it doesn't sag downwards and touch the bottom. If anyone is wondering where I put the PCM it is zip-tied to the frame under the heatsheild box.

So here are my final pictures, I am going to get some foam to put on top much like the aftermarket CAI's have. Hope you all enjoy the pics and hope this maybe inspires some ppl to try.

If anyone wants a write-up I could make one. I drove it around for about 30 minutes and everything was great. I have no ways to measure gains/loses so I don't know how this performs over a standard Hot air intake, but this looks better and is a better method to hold up the intake piping and filter then using zip ties.

Please tell me what you guys think of this.

I also didn't want to start a seperate thread to this so I will add it to this. I got my SC decals in and got some pics of it.

*Update*

I drove the car for about an hour today, the heat shield itself was warm on the outside but the filter was cold to the touch, however this could be due to 39 degree weather. I'm glad I didn't put the filter in the fenderwall because there was some splash up in there from the road and it had gotten up into the engine bay as well (around close to my filter)

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#28728 - 12/20/09 03:16 PM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
That doesn't look bad at all.

(I thought about saying it doesn't look trashy, but decided against it. lol )
#28729 - 12/20/09 03:39 PM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
Richard Candelario Offline
I woulda tried to make a full heat shield, but good luck getting to the filter for servicing. Overall, looks really good. Try adding foam runners on the edges for a decent seal around the frame and diagonal braces.

Also, where'd you get the radiator shelf shroud? I like the way that looks over my shelf shroud.

The diagonal braces are pretty sexy as well. Are those aftermarket? Will they fit the 97-03?

Again, good fabricating. The TAI looks really good.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#28730 - 12/20/09 05:42 PM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
GTPCompG Offline
*UPDATED PICS*

#28731 - 12/20/09 07:06 PM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
I woulda tried to make it a little more open on the left side, Im sure it will either way
#28732 - 12/20/09 07:32 PM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
GTPCompG Offline
I can always do more fabrication if necessary, it's easy to get the heat shield (aka trash can) out. The 9" Cone works great, I'm still searching for insulator of any kind I can use for this.

#28733 - 12/20/09 10:22 PM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
That looks pretty slick...one of the better homemade attempts I've seen.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#28734 - 12/21/09 06:04 AM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Actually looks pretty good ,I was going to say something about that tiny spectre filter but I see you went to a larger filter ,good work.Chico(pops)
#28735 - 12/21/09 08:16 PM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
GTPCompG Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
Actually looks pretty good ,I was going to say something about that tiny spectre filter but I see you went to a larger filter ,good work.Chico(pops)
Are 9" Cones Ideal on our cars, or is there any difference?

#28736 - 12/21/09 09:28 PM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
9" cones are great on our cars.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#28737 - 12/21/09 09:43 PM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
20gtp02 Offline
I like the pep boys cones, open ends for some reason.
Allows air go straight into it.
Trash can doesn't look bad.
Use black zip ties when you use ties though, cleaner.
Hole is a little large, but its your first attempt.
I've made about 7 intake setups, so you got trial and errors left, lol.

#28738 - 12/21/09 10:14 PM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
jlindahl2571 Offline
Loc: Massachusetts
That actually looks really good. I should do this in the summer as my HAI just gets way too hot. Good choice getting rid of the tiny filter too.

If it had a size, do you know what size the barrel you used was?

The decals look good too, not too much which is good.
#28739 - 12/21/09 11:14 PM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
GTPCompG Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
I like the pep boys cones, open ends for some reason.
Allows air go straight into it.
Trash can doesn't look bad.
Use black zip ties when you use ties though, cleaner.
Hole is a little large, but its your first attempt.
I've made about 7 intake setups, so you got trial and errors left, lol.
There are widened holes on the K&N FIPK setups (at least on my old GT). Thanks for suggestion on black zip ties, if I can find some I'll get to it. I got my tails coming back from being clear coated and lightly shaded with VHT, all I plan do to with the car tomorrow.

This Saturday I'm going to wash my car and get it Zaino'd up.

#28740 - 12/21/09 11:55 PM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I think the intake looks good.
The decals looks good on your car.
#28741 - 12/22/09 01:23 AM Re: Trash Air Intake(56k no)*NEW PICS*
ChrisGT Offline
Loc: Cranston, RI
Props looks good!

And 7 intake setups? I don't want to be that guy but dude its an intake lmao

04 GTO M6 | HE SS Clutch | Kooks LT's | SLP LM2 | K&N