Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45900 - 03/12/10 12:55 PM Coolant Leak
FordMan77 Offline
Loc: St. Louis
Well, after trying to track down the cause of my disappearing coolant, it seems this is the likely cause. After cleaning off all the muck around it, it appeared around the top of the timing cover. Looks to be near the corner. The pic is facing the "front" of the engine looking down.

So, judging by this pic, is this the LIM leaking?

Jay
#45901 - 03/12/10 01:04 PM Re: Coolant Leak
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
LIM gasket
#45902 - 03/12/10 02:45 PM Re: Coolant Leak
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Check the coolant elbows first to see if they are leaking. Much cheaper/easier than the LIM gasket.
#45903 - 03/13/10 12:55 PM Re: Coolant Leak
FordMan77 Offline
Loc: St. Louis
Well, I did take a look at the elbows as well. There is a bit of seepage starting around one of them. I think I may just tear it all down and replace both elbows, and the LIM/UIM and valve covers. That should stop both the coolant leak and the oil leak, as I have oil sitting in between the runners of the intake as well.

Guess for 216K I shouldn't be surprised.

Once I pull the tensioner assembly off, should I replace the heater hoses that run to it, or just leave well enough alone, and is there a plastic elbow that these connect to as well, or is it aluminum/steel?