Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#214459 - 06/21/11 06:35 PM I'm back with a question... (fiero swap)
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
I know it's been a while so here's a little update.

The Grand Prix has been sitting in a friend's driveway since I was last on months ago. From what I can surmise, it dropped a lifter.

So!

My buddy has a fiero that he's just DYING to get rid of. It's automatic, doesn't run at ALL, and he wants it gone. $200.

Anybody know where to find parts lists and write-ups for an L36/L67 swap into a fiero? I'm going to tear everything out of the GP, sell what I can't use, and transplant everything into the little red fiero. My own little project car.

And for those of you wondering what I'm driving now...
http://www.autoparts101.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/red-2001-KIA-Rio-front-view.jpg

Only difference is that mine is a 2007 and has a junkyard window because some little punk wanted my stuff more than I did.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#214462 - 06/21/11 07:44 PM Re: I'm back with a question... (fiero swap) [Re: lonezergling]
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
You may find some links of interest here: Nepontiac.org useful links
#214467 - 06/22/11 02:26 PM Re: I'm back with a question... (fiero swap) [Re: lonezergling]
stoveguy Offline
Loc: minnesota
no parts list. just a vote no for project. fiero motor is probably ok. you will remove that motor/trans and do what with it? you need to fix gp motor. not easy or cheap. potentially. than somehow swap motor/trans into fiero hulk. does fiero have good paint, wheels, interior? sounds like a huge money sucking effort.
#214468 - 06/22/11 02:54 PM Re: I'm back with a question... (fiero swap) [Re: lonezergling]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
What condition is the Fiero in? If your buddy only wants $200 for it I bet all the suspension needs replaced along with the drive train. Is the trans any good? I don't believe the 4T65 will fit and you'll have to use the one from the Fiero. Besides you don't want an auto for that anyways you want the 5 speed.

I mean if your gonna do it you gotta do it right!

If your heart is really in it I'd suggest forget the motor that you currently have in your GP and get a running motor from a junkyard or something. It'll be cheaper and easier in the long run.

You'll need a reprogramed PCM to eliminate the trans controls. I believe ZZP has one for sand rail use.

What it really comes down to is how good of condition the Fiero is in to begin with.

By the time it's all said and done I'd budget roughly 5 grand. This should get you all the parts for the swap and to get the car into acceptable running condition with suspension, brakes etc.

Ohh also how good are your fabrication skills? I'm not sure if you'll have to fab up new mounts and such as well.

Edited by HercMan(Rob) (06/22/11 02:55 PM)