Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#219205 - 10/26/14 11:46 AM Need help with Radiator and Water Pump removal
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
I'm sure Blackarrow will chime in with his helpful info but I know my radiator has a crack in it somewhere(near upper radiator hose) so I need to remove the radiator. I think I might try to use some kind of epoxy or sealer to try and fix it. Just depends on what it really is.

I'm also thinking the water pump is leaking. I've got a puddle under the passenger side motor mount area and it's not motor oil. It basically tastes like Dex-cool but I know the motor mounts have oil in them so it could be that but not likely.

If I'm going to have to remove the radiator, I might as well do the water pump at the same time. Just was hoping there might be a write up on it somewhere on how to remove each item.

The car basically has 230,000 I think on it and if I can fix the radiator leak without having to buy a new one, that will be great because the car isn't going to last forever. When I see it leaking, it is almost as if it has a pinhole in a plastic fitting under the hose but really hard to see.
dhp 1.0
#219206 - 11/02/14 03:12 PM Re: Need help with Radiator and Water Pump removal [Re: snowcrash]
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
The plastic coolant elbows are notorious for leaking and cracking and it may appear to show as a water pump leak since they'll drip down onto and around it.

Make sure to check those first.
#219207 - 11/10/14 10:34 AM Re: Need help with Radiator and Water Pump removal [Re: snowcrash]
snowcrash Offline
Thanks,
I'll be sure to check that, I forgot all about the plastic elbow! I think ours only has one if I remember correct but I will check it.

Still gotta pull the radiator but just haven't had time and it isn't loosing that much coolant, yet!

Maybe I'll find have a writeup before I do it to make it easier though.
dhp 1.0
#219208 - 11/10/14 06:01 PM Re: Need help with Radiator and Water Pump removal [Re: snowcrash]
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
For the water pump, the only write up I know of is the one I gave you back in '07: Need help on changing a water pump

For the radiator, here ya go: Radiator upgrade for 97-03 GP's

Your '98 should only have one plastic elbow, the upper one. I usually buy the GM ones on Ebay: 24503423
#219224 - 10/25/15 03:11 PM Re: Need help with Radiator and Water Pump removal [Re: snowcrash]
snowcrash Offline
Thanks Blackarrow, The water pump has finally let go, we thought we it was narrowed down to the radiator leaking so we thought we had that fixed but that didn't last and now it is bad again as is the water pump.

Hopefully we'll get some time and get this fixed so we can get the car back on the road. Just so many issues that it is maybe time to say goodbye to the GTP but can't even sell it the way it is.
dhp 1.0