Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109550 - 02/02/09 05:31 PM Door locks going crazy
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
It seems this issue is back again with my car.

The doors unlock by themselves. When I lock them, then they unlock and keep trying to unlock every 2 seconds. The battery connection is good and I have a new battery in there.

Thoughts? Its pretty serious as someone can just go inside my unlocked car w/ no problems as it unlocks itself. I know its not trying to have someone steal it saying "i'd rather be stolen that go down that rock chipped freeway again!!"

http://www.grandprix.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007131#000000

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#109551 - 02/02/09 05:34 PM Re: Door locks going crazy
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
sounds like a failing switch.
#109552 - 02/02/09 05:40 PM Re: Door locks going crazy
TastyBake Offline
BTW, I should mention it does this when the car is off.

Which switch are you referring to? The switch on the transmission that tells the doors to unlock?

I don't think its the actual door lock switches themselves but the contacts could be going bad.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#109553 - 02/02/09 05:43 PM Re: Door locks going crazy
98greenGT Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Does it do it even when your remote isn't in range? If it doesn't then I'd say you need a new remote.

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab
Stock, LineX, 212K
#109554 - 02/02/09 06:41 PM Re: Door locks going crazy
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
I was refering to the electric lock switches, as you say, probably a failing contact. Maybe someone with GM SPO installed will post up the diagnostic instructions, I'm too lazy to get them off my computer in the basement (need to enable remote desktop...)

edit: ahh, crap, forgot tinyXP doesn't have remote desktop... frown
#109555 - 02/04/09 01:37 PM Re: Door locks going crazy
TastyBake Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 98greenGT:
Does it do it even when your remote isn't in range? If it doesn't then I'd say you need a new remote.
Ah, I forgot. That's how I fixed it last time. I replaced the battery out of the remote and it stopped doing that. I noticed the remote range has been pathetic. I'm surprised it would still send out a signal to unlock doors if the button is not depressed as I thought it would need that contact. Maybe the way the logic chip is setup to send out the signal when the bit is 0 instead of when its 1. It was probably intentionally designed this way so it doesn't lock a child inside the car when the remote battery is low.

EDTI: Speaking of, I'm starting to eat through these remote batteries now. Just found out 2006 models have an indicator stating "key frob battery low". I'm replacing it with a Duracell 2032.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071227211822AAtpchh

EDIT #2:
Just figured it out. I also remembered cleaning off the contact points as they had some weird sticky substance on them about 1-2 yrs ago. That's what was causing the battery drain and the locks to go crazy back then. Just opened the frob and sure enough, the contacts and rubber were sticky. I cleaned it off and I'll replace the battery later today. Let's see what happens.

[GONE]
#109556 - 03/11/09 12:40 PM Re: Door locks going crazy
TastyBake Offline
Well, its back again. I disassembled the remote starter and it still did it.

It was raining yesterday and I left it out in the rain and it started doing it with the car off.

I'm assuming its a failing switch. Another possibility is the door locks. My door lock is jammed where I can't turn the key in it. I remember there was a cool trick where I can turn the key, leave it turned for 2 seconds and it will unlock all the doors. Perhaps the contacts inside the tumbler are not working right. I fiddled around with the key in the door lock but it just kept unlocking automatically at random times.

I'm just going to have to take it to the dealer. Time to bust out the Vaseline frown

[GONE]
#223209 - 03/13/22 10:27 AM Re: Door locks going crazy [Re: TastyBake]
Fellirt Offline
Sometimes it happens that door problems often got locked due to some problem or low build quality of the car. Now you can explore the car accessories through the https://electronicx.de/Multimedia option where a variety of multimedia accessories are available for everyone who wants to explore the products.