Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132935 - 07/04/02 12:12 PM How to Remove Strut Bolts
Mike Moore Offline
Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Hi all,

Time to replace the struts on my 98 Regal. I assume the GP process is the same.

I am unable to remove the lower two bolts on any strut. I've tried a variety of high-torque techniques but to no avail. Is there a post anywhere or does someone have suggestions about how to remove these two large bolts? Suggestions about the whole process also appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike
#132936 - 07/07/02 06:51 AM Re: How to Remove Strut Bolts
Jeff W. Offline
Loc: North Texas
If you are reffering to the two bolts that are down by the axle shaft and brake rotors. those bolts are used to adjust either the caster or camber...too tired to remember which right now I know when I did front end alignments I usually tightened those bolts down with an impact wrench to ensure they would not move. So it might be quite a chore getting them off without an impact wrench. Hope the info helps.

"It can't out run Motorola, but it sure comes close!!!"

99 Black GTP Sedan:
Fr & R STB, Thrasher CAI,GM W-body (police) auxilliary tranny cooler, custom 3" exaust to dual 2.5" inlet/outlet mufflers, U-bend replacement, xenon headlights reflective GTP and lower Rocker GRAND PRIX badging, red custom front grilles, 180* stat, Pontiac valve stem caps, red neon light behind front grilles, red custom under hood cross braces
#132937 - 07/12/02 09:20 AM Re: How to Remove Strut Bolts
MrQuija Offline
Loc: Derwood, MD
you remove the two nuts (21mm) with a socket. Then you have to pound the bolts out with a hammer. Make sure you dont miss too often or you end up flattening out the bolt.

They are splined and so they sit inside a groove in the knuckle. If you were trying to turn the bolts, that would be a bad thing...