Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127318 - 03/25/03 10:28 AM Need help - key stuck in ignition
fungo45 Offline
Loc: Aurora, IL (Chicagoland)
Happened suddenly yesterday. The cylinder will not turn far enough to get to the point where I can pull out the key. I tried jiggling everything (key, steering wheel, gear shifter) but nothing worked.
If a new cylinder is required, will they need to give me a new key and change the locks on the doors/trunk?
In serching the archives, it looks like some have had to have a solenoid replaced, but I don't know what this is.
Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Erik
#127319 - 03/25/03 10:31 PM Re: Need help - key stuck in ignition
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

Found this at ClubGP...Not promoting the site, just giving credit, where credit is due.

"Not sure of the cause, but yeah, there's a release under the steering column, almost right below the keys, there's a round plastic cover, pop that off, and stick a thin screwdriver or something similar up there til you feel it push the release button. Then you can remove your keys at least til you figure out what's wrong."

There is more there, didn't find the real problem. Maybe someone else will come up w/ it, until then, atleast you can get the key out.

Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com
#127320 - 03/26/03 08:11 AM Re: Need help - key stuck in ignition
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Hey, I had to bring my GP to the shop to get this one fixed. My key was stuck and I couldn't find anything. It's a small little pin inside the steering column that's not releasing the key. It's a cheap part, but after labor cost me $110. Hope that at least helps get an idea what it is...
#127321 - 03/29/03 12:03 AM Re: Need help - key stuck in ignition
blowngpguy98 Offline
Loc: Lake City, MI
i've had the same problem in my 98 gtp.
there's a solenoid in the shifter that seems to get stuck. after removing the whole shifter...(real big pain to do) and oiling it, my problem went away, but i know there's also a solenoid in the steering column underneath the key lock cylinder. one thing you could try is have a new key made at the dealer from your vin, not just a copy of your existing key, this would at least rule out a worn key.