Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142793 - 04/16/03 10:31 AM cams
1badgp Offline
Loc: Jefferson city MO
I just bought cam 1 off the grand prix store. if any one out there has already added a cam to their
gtp i would like to know if you noticed a big difference??? smile and did you have any problems that you can tell me before i install it so i do not run into any thing unexecpted

thanx
Borla cat back,mini afc2.0, 17"
chrome eagle 077's
#142794 - 04/22/03 09:22 PM Re: cams
Viperdavo Offline
Loc: Reno Nevada USA
I did .... save your money.
Bought a ZZP comp cam they advertise 45-50 hp difference.
My car was faster without the cam in my opinion. Even my friend who drives it at the track said, "Damn David this thing was fast what did you do to it. I even installed a NEW GM timing chain set and tensioner. Took it back apart to make sure the timing marks were correct due to no power gains. All lined up perfect. I was really disappointed BIG TIME, after 9 hours of chaining the cam and to see NO BIG 45-50 hp gains...
SAVE YOUR MONEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!
Before cam shaft installed:
292 hp at the wheels
After Cam installed:
276 hp at the wheels

They say the BIG difference is the KR levels will go down with the VS cam, ok but where the hell is my HP gone? LOL and I am running a 3.25 pullley!!!!
Have no clue.....
Next weekend installing old cam back in and will put up the VS on Ebay......

Maybe I got a BAD cam but I was not impressed. I would recommend putting in the 1.9 rockers if anything....
Just my thoughts on the matter..
David
#142795 - 04/22/03 11:02 PM Re: cams
Redshift Offline
Loc: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Viperdavo:
I did .... save your money.
Bought a ZZP comp cam they advertise 45-50 hp difference.
My car was faster without the cam in my opinion. Even my friend who drives it at the track said, "Damn David this thing was fast what did you do to it. I even installed a NEW GM timing chain set and tensioner. Took it back apart to make sure the timing marks were correct due to no power gains. All lined up perfect. I was really disappointed BIG TIME, after 9 hours of chaining the cam and to see NO BIG 45-50 hp gains...
SAVE YOUR MONEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!
Before cam shaft installed:
292 hp at the wheels
After Cam installed:
276 hp at the wheels

They say the BIG difference is the KR levels will go down with the VS cam, ok but where the hell is my HP gone? LOL and I am running a 3.25 pullley!!!!
Have no clue.....
Next weekend installing old cam back in and will put up the VS on Ebay......

Maybe I got a BAD cam but I was not impressed. I would recommend putting in the 1.9 rockers if anything....
Just my thoughts on the matter..
David
45-50HP difference huh? That's a load of crap. You can't get that much from our cam to their cam. In fact, compare the specs between the two wink

If you lost HP after putting a cam in, you did something wrong or your car is not running right.
#142796 - 04/22/03 11:22 PM Re: cams
Viperdavo Offline
Loc: Reno Nevada USA
This is from their web site..

The VS cam uses a tight base on the exhaust lobe and comp's steepest ramp rate to keep the computer happy. This cam does not set the P0300 code and can be installed on a lightly mod'd 3800 all the way to radical. It works very well with an intercooler and doesn't bleed off as much boost as some of the other cams making it an excellent choice for use with a small blower like the M90.

Look for gains of 40-50 hp depending on your car's current configuration

Thats is from the web site..

Guess I should not believe all I read huh....

Well it was at IVM a high performance shop all day today and they ran massive amounts of tests on it... Installed correct no vacuum leaks etc..
I have installed many cams before. He said that I might have got a bad grind on the cam one or 2 lobes. Cyl 4 is where the problem is, the lift is different from the others.... Maybe I will pick up another one and see....
How much is your guys Brian?

Thanks David