Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#20253 - 06/11/03 04:55 PM Steering Column Vibration when Starting
Jeff 301 Offline
Loc: Fairfax, VA
I have a 2001 GP Coupe GT and when I start it after sitting all night or in the work parking lot for about 3 or 4 hours, when you start it, the vibration in the steering column can be seen, felt and sounds like a rubber mallot hitting on it until it turns over. Cannot be duplicated regularly unless you turn it on and off about 3 times then it does it. Dealership states its normal and there is nothing to worry about although they don't know what it is. I also took it to an independant who said it is normal and most likely the crankshaft and everything lining up causing it. Both said nothing to worry about. I never had this happen on my 1996 and was wondering if A. anyone has heard of this, and B. if anyone can tell me what this is. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as this is getting close to my warranty running out. (about 200 more miles) If it is nothing to worry about, fine, but if it is I would like to have it covered under the warranty rather than out of pocket. Thanks to any and all with your assistance.
#20254 - 06/12/03 12:58 PM Re: Steering Column Vibration when Starting
MattD Offline
Loc: Bellevue, WA
I have a similar problem with my 2001 GTP. When you first start moving, the steering wheel vibrates heavily after a foot or two, and then stops. I have an additional twist though. My problem was intermittant like yours is until my rack and pinion failed. After they replaced that (along with the power steering pump and tie rod ends - under warranty thankfully!) the noise now happens every single time you start the car. If you turn it off and back on, it happens, but won't happen except just after starting.
The dealer thinks this is normal, but I'm with you - it sounds broken to me. And it is MUCH louder now after the other work was done. My car has about 31300 miles on it, and I'm becoming more and more thankful that I purchased the extended warranty. Anyone else heard of this? Is this a 2001 specific problem? Is the dealer right on this, or is something wrong?

One tech said it sounded broken, a different one says it is okay, which in the past has meant they don't know what is causing it and are going to call it good until something breaks really good.
#20255 - 06/13/03 02:36 PM Re: Steering Column Vibration when Starting
Jeff 301 Offline
I had the intermediate shaft in the steering column replaced back in either September or October of 2002 so I was thinking recently that perhaps something isn't tight on it, but perhaps I should ask them to look over the rack and pinion, power steering pump, and the tie rod ends. It only really does it on start up when it has been sitting for a while (early in the morning, when I go to lunch from work, when I go home from work usually with a 3 - 4 hour gap in between each except start up in the morning). No whining in the steering to either side that I have ever noticed and the transmission seems to be fine. From what I can tell though (from MattD's comment at least) his still does this even today after having all the things repaired / replaced. So MattD, yours still does the vibration at cold start up each time then, even today? Thanks for responding though, I appreciate it.
#20256 - 06/13/03 11:10 PM Re: Steering Column Vibration when Starting
MattD Offline
Loc: Bellevue, WA
Yep, my noise still happens after having all that fixed. In fact, before it was intermittant, like yours. It didn't even happen on every cold start. It got a little more frequent before they replaced the rack and stuff, but now it happens on every start, cold or warm.
I'm not sure mine is as severe as yours. The dealership says it is caused by ABS doing normal startup things, and isn't related to the steering components at all, but everyone other than the dealership thinks it sounds like something is broken. I'm going to try a different dealership, but won't have the chance before Monday probably.
It happens when you start moving, after a few feet, and is over pretty quick, like running over a rough patch of concrete.
If I were you, I'd have it checked out and have the dealer give you a written reason for the noise and an explanation why it is not a problem - preferably with your mileage noted on it. That way if there is trouble, you're in good shape. From how you described it, it is pretty intense. I have a few less miles than you (just over 31K), but this noise has been with my car since the day I drove it off the dealer's lot with 9 miles on the odomoter. It was so rare though that this is the first time it has been reproducible on demand in almost three years. If this is something new for your car, I'd definately have it checked out.

Oh, and if you had the rack problem I did, you'd know it. wink Saying 'whine' is an understatement. But, especially with a recall on the 97 and 98's, its worth having the dealer check out your rack and stuff to be safe. You don't want it going out or locking up on the road.
#20257 - 06/15/03 06:43 PM Re: Steering Column Vibration when Starting
Jeff3800 Offline
Loc: se michigan
Have someone start the car for you and look under the hood to see what you can see.
#20258 - 06/17/03 09:53 AM Re: Steering Column Vibration when Starting
Jeff 301 Offline
Well, I went into the dealer and let them have it all day yesterday (06/16) and asked them to look over the rack and pinion assembly, the power steering pump, the tie rod ends, the intermediate shaft, and anything else they could think of. On the invoice they stated that it vibrates at start up (which is what it does and I told them) and that it started after the replacement of the intermediate shaft, inspect all front end components. They did this and listed on the invoice nothing found all operating normally and that the vibration is related to the starter and that the vibration is normal as the engine shakes upon start up. The mileage is noted on there that it was 35967 so if something breaks or falls out, I wonder how far to bat they will go on mileage for me. At least it is noted now for me to have a record in case something happens.

I still don't think it is normal nor does anyone else that I have spoken with that is not a certified mechanic. The mechanics (both the dealer and an independant) say it is normal and related to the starter or start up (line up of the crankshaft, etc.) Not sure if this helps anyone else out there, but figured I would post it to let everyone know (thanks to everyone for their advise).

I have had the hood up during start up and the engine does shake at start up, but they inspected the upper and lower mounts and found nothing out of the ordinary that they would have them replaced for or to have any concern over. I wonder if poly upper motor mounts would make it so that the engine shake and subsequent vibration in the steering column would make it so that this doesn't occur.

Oh, and MattD, I have never experienced the vibration past the start up / turn over point, not while driving any distance. Thanks for suggesting to have them inspect the front end components though, I'm sure the dealer would not have if I hadn't asked them too. Please post a reply if anyone else has any thoughts or ideas on it, and thanks to everyone again.
#20259 - 06/21/03 12:00 AM Re: Steering Column Vibration when Starting
Brad97GTP Offline
Loc: CA
I checked out the service information and found something interesting. It seems that there is an issue with the power steering lines causing a steering shudder or vibration at low speeds. If you go to the dealer, ask him to look up service bulletin #99-02-32-003 from May 24, 1999. I do not know if this could be related; so do not be surprised if the dealer tells you that it is not the issue. Good luck! smile
#20260 - 06/21/03 11:42 AM Re: Steering Column Vibration when Starting
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Just for comparison, I have a 2000 GTP with 36,600 miles on it and there is never any steeringwheel shake whatsoever on startup or any other time. Everything is smooth. Hopefully that TSB will be it for you

Jeff
#20261 - 06/21/03 12:23 PM Re: Steering Column Vibration when Starting
joshuatorres Offline
Loc: Georgia
I have a 99 GT and I have not noticed any vibration. Of course they may be some vibration when the engine is turning over, but if it lasts longer than that, I would be concerned to. My first thought was the engine mounts. I feel that the dealers are not always the best place to go for advice. Especially the service writers. I would keep asking around, because if there is a problem, you would want your warranty to cover it.