Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44160 - 09/22/03 10:43 PM hesitation on cold start - up.........
BIG ANG Offline
Loc: toronto
on first start in the morning, the car starts fine but when i put the car into gear and give it gas it hesitates and hic-ups for a sec or two then it takes off like a jet. after driving for a minute or two it drives great. does anyone out there have the same problem. and if so, can you give me some help on how to fix this problem.

p.s. i gave my 97 GTP a full tune up:
wires, plugs,pcv,fuel filter, injector flush
i also checked with my scanner-no codes present.
#44161 - 09/23/03 10:41 AM Re: hesitation on cold start - up.........
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Well, I could've sworn that we had discussed this before so I checked the archives and found two past posts. That's the good news. The bad news is that they were both started by you and no solution was given. No luck there.
Also no luck on other boards.
Looks like I'll have to stab at it.

Because the car start fine it probably isn't the starter. Here's some possible problems:
1. Transmission slipping (Pray it isn't that)
2. Fuel Pump/Clogged Injectors (possible that the engine isn't getting required amount of gasoline to get things moving once the transmission is engaged. Fuel pump might not have enough force to get the right amount of pressure into the lines)
3. Air/Fuel Ratio (possibly intermittent in sending the signals and mixing correctly)

Now, hopefully some people can shoot down some of these options and you'll be left with something.

Also, since it's been going on for so long and not getting worse (right?), you might just want to pass it off and hope it doesn't do anymore damage to whatever might be malfunctioning. If you're like me (anal retentive) and want everything to operate perfectly, then call a couple shops, see what they say. Don't tell anyone I said this, but you could even take it to the dealer.

Good Luck,
Andrew confused
#44162 - 09/23/03 01:37 PM Re: hesitation on cold start - up.........
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
I remember reading this part description and found the link

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Sc...ry_Code=GPUNDER

For a GM pump resistor kit. Could be that, or your pump. Maybe something electrical like one of your coils is bad or going bad.

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#44163 - 10/02/03 02:16 AM Re: hesitation on cold start - up.........
Jeff3800 Offline
Loc: se michigan
Make sure your sensors are gving the correct readings. CTS,AIT,TPS Sometimes they read a bit off and don't set a code.