Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109104 - 08/11/04 08:15 AM Up in Smoke
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
The '99 GP I just picked up burnt up Sunday night at 11pm. I was just nearing the point where I had transfered most of the mods from the '97 to it. Earlier in the day I had installed 12" front rotors, stock rear rotors (all slotted), pads, rear swaybar, and motor mounts. Nothing major and everything went very well.

About 10:40pm I took the car out for a test run to make sure the brakes were functioning correctly and to burn (no pun intended) them in a little. They worked great and the rear swaybar was doing its job nicely too.

Pulled up to the garage at 10:50pm and parked her outside since the '97 is still up on jackstands and our new Enovy was in the other bay.

At 11pm my wife and I heard a muffled explosion and the alarm started going off. We ran to the front door to find our front yard engulfed in white smoke. I looked at the car to see flames and smoke pouring out of the front wheels wells.

The wife called 911 while I ran to the garage for the garden hose. Unfortunately, the hood release cable had already melted through so I couldn't pop the hood. I sprayed where I could, but my efforts only kept the flames contained to the engine bay and the dash. At least I was able to keep the interior from going up and having a much bigger mess and threat (the car was only parked about 8 ft from my garage door).

Anyway... she's gone. The insurance company totaled it and towed her off yesterday. You can find pics of the mess here .

I'm certain the fire wasn't started due to brake fluid as I used a funnel, didn't spill a drop, and definitely replaced the top to the resevoir. The nipple valves on all four brakes were tightened too (I would have noticed a fade in braking if they weren't). The fire marshall investigated the fire and concluded the main wiring harness was the cause. I hadn't modified that!

All is not too terribly bad... I picked up a 2000 Trans Am WS6 last night from a guy in WV. The car could literally win a major car show it's so clean. He claims that in the 25K miles its been driven, it's never seen rain or snow. I've been under the car and can believe it. It's loaded and comes with the handeling package. Plus, it has a pretty nice Alpine stereo system with changer and sub-woofer.

I wanted to stay with a Pontiac, but... after totaling two GPs within two months of each other... maybe someone's trying to tell me something.

So... I don't know where I'll go from here regarding the GP community. I've been an active member for over 7 years and don't know if I'll be able to give it up "cold turkey" or not. I'll have to wait a bit and see.

Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#109105 - 08/11/04 08:38 AM Re: Up in Smoke
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
That really sucks, but it looks like you bounced back pretty good.
There's a WS6 in my neighborhood and I just love how it looks.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#109106 - 08/11/04 08:40 AM Re: Up in Smoke
damojo2003 Offline
Loc: Toms River, NJ
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I would definetely switch cars if I were you. Can't go wrong with a WS6 at all. Good luck with her.

WE NEED PICS OF THE NEW CAR!!!!
#109107 - 08/11/04 11:10 AM Re: Up in Smoke
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
thumbsup
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner
#109108 - 08/11/04 11:52 AM Re: Up in Smoke
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Hey Marc,

Glad to hear that no one got hurt.

But, it just hurts about the GP. Sorry.

Enjoy the WS6.

Francisco
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#109109 - 08/11/04 01:07 PM Re: Up in Smoke
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Dude what a bummer. Glad it didn't happen on your test drive. And congrats on your purchase of a true "Muscle car". cheers
#109110 - 08/11/04 06:20 PM Re: Up in Smoke
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Marc, you truely have the worst luck with the DC GP curse Ive ever seen. Good luck with the WS6 TA, F-bodies are good cars. I miss mine. There is just no replacement for all that torque.
#109111 - 08/12/04 02:37 AM Re: Up in Smoke
RawGTP Offline
Loc: HAYWARD,CA
ouch!!! just looking at those pics hurts. i just pictured myself in your position and i would be crying seeing my car like that. But at least nothing major happened> Have fun with your new ride. I LOVE those WS6. congrats.

Just how I dreamed it to have it!!
#109112 - 08/12/04 02:46 AM Re: Up in Smoke
BlownPrix Offline
Loc: Daytona Beach, FL
Man you came out on top on this deal. I think my wiring harness needs to take a shit. All the LS1 T/A's and Z28s I looked at prior to the GTP were all too expensive, now I've seen 7 that are the same price and milage that I got my GTP for. You will have a blast with that car. I almost bought a Red 2000 WS6 before my GTP. First is SLP airbox lid, and Corsa exhast or B&B sounds good too. Have fun man and bang some gears for me!

Brad

2000 GTP Sedan Gold Edition
13.46 @ 104 OLD CAR

2000 Camaro Z28
11.78 @ 122
#109113 - 08/12/04 07:16 AM Re: Up in Smoke
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Thats a shame the GP burnt was that the car you got from your mother? Bad luck but it seems you bounced back good luck with the new car are you going to salvage the Gp ?
#109114 - 08/12/04 09:05 AM Re: Up in Smoke
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks for all the kind words. I still regret losing both of the GTPs, but the WS6 is helping me get over that.

Yes, the '99 that burnt up last Sunday was the GTP I picked up from my Mom. She's even a die hard GP owner... when I told her what happened she started crying over the phone. Her computer was struck by lightning the other night so she can't see the pics yet. She'll probably cry some more when she's back on-line.

BlownPrix... the WS6 I picked up is a red one! cheers

Thanks again all,
Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#109115 - 08/12/04 09:35 AM Re: Up in Smoke
blown_gp Offline
Loc: Memphis
lightning! up in smoke! talk about bad luck! SSHHISSH
#109116 - 08/12/04 10:30 AM Re: Up in Smoke
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Well as my father use to say "It could be worse", is a shame about your car, but as many said is good nobody got hurt.

What can we do to prevent that kind of s...

Alex cheers

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
----------------------------------
#109117 - 08/12/04 03:35 PM Re: Up in Smoke
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Harbison:
Her computer was struck by lightning the other night so she can't see the pics yet.
Holy crap, time to move you and your family into a concrete house and never leave.

Sorry to hear about the car, Marc. I guess this concludes the rule of three. Too bad you were 2/3 of it. Sorry I started it.
#109118 - 08/12/04 09:35 PM Re: Up in Smoke
Steve Offline
Loc: Akron, Ohio
I have a '99 and I'm so sorry that happened. On the bright side at least you weren't driving when the flames started! mad
Best of luck with the WS6!

SLP CAI, DHP, 3.4, 180° stat, Trans cooler, Random Tech DP, Borla cat back, KYB's, bitchin' paperclip mod.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >