Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78078 - 12/23/04 02:03 AM Flushing radiator, god damnit!
nad Offline
Loc: Imperial MO
Today, 12-22-04, i attempted to flush the radiator of my 1998 Grand Prix GT, because I ran low on coolant and didn't wanna mix. Well, when i went to pull the drain plug out, it broke off inside there and I can't get it out, I went and bought a replacement plug immediately though. I'm thinking about just taking it somewhere and letting them deal with it because I worked on it for about 4-5 hours and couldn't get the fucker out. It really pissed me off. Any advice or anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how much it might cost to get something like this done?

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#78079 - 12/23/04 07:42 AM Re: Flushing radiator, god damnit!
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
The drain plug isn't meant to be removed - it's just supposed to "open" to let the fluid drain. If part of it broke off and part of it is left in I would definitely take it to a mechanic, because that seems like it would be a real pain to remove it. Make sure when you get the new plug installed you don't "force" it out, it twists open but is not intended to actually remove, otherwise you will break the new plug off as well.

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#78080 - 12/23/04 03:26 PM Re: Flushing radiator, god damnit!
nad Offline
Oh, ok, thanks, I had been told by a friend of mine who had his father drain his radiator on his 97 Grand Prix SE that it comes all the way out.. Oops. So how far does it turn out? Because i had it out like, two full turns, and when i released the pressure cap, only like a quart of antifreeze came out, not all of it. Thanks for the tip though, I appreciate it, it's at the mechanic now getting fixed....

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#78081 - 12/23/04 05:46 PM Re: Flushing radiator, god damnit!
nad Offline
Update on the whole radiator thing: I took it in to the mechanic today, 12-23-04, and had them take a look at what I had done to the drain plug of my radiator. Turns out, they had to pull the radiator, disassemble it, take the old plug out (or what was left of it) and replace it, then assemble the radiator and put it back in my car. Getting that done, plus getting the radiator flushed and an oil change on top of that was estimated to cost me around $650 frown I just had $500 worth of ignition work done about a month ago too. It's just been a bad month for the Prix. Merry Christmas to the mechanic....

-Dan-

#78082 - 12/23/04 05:58 PM Re: Flushing radiator, god damnit!
Bryan R Offline
Loc: Portland
Holy crap eek

Wow, I'm sorry dude... But for next time, if you look at the plug, there is a small little nub sticking out of it, that sits in the curved slot, that'll tell you how far it can turn and how far it will pop out. On mine, the plug will only turn a quarter turn, and pop out maybe once centimeter, so I"m surprised you got it to turn twice...
#78083 - 12/23/04 07:39 PM Re: Flushing radiator, god damnit!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
It turned twice cause he broke it. frown
#78084 - 12/28/04 09:08 PM Re: Flushing radiator, god damnit!
99GT2dr Offline
Loc: Copperas Cove, TX
Jesus Christ, $650!? WTF? You couldn't have drilled that thing out or something? I know there's someway you could've gotten it out. When I flushed my radiator, I pulled the plug while the coolant was HOT, and that bitch popped all the way out, spraying coolant everywhere, so it DOES come all the way out. On my '99 it does anyway. And you were messing with it for 4-5 hours? It only took me 6 hrs to pull my motor and trans, and it was my first time doing it. I'm damn glad i'm a mechanic, everytime I read a post like this, it makes me remember having busted up hands all the time is worth it.