Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55791 - 01/01/05 12:34 PM Its broke? Duct tape it?
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
Ok, ive been meaning to do this for a while now, I drilled a hole with a 1/2 drill bit in the lower pipe of my FWI so I can use my IAT extension harness and well, it was too small. So I went to work making it a little bigger and a little bigger, as can happen when doing this process, a very small piece I didnt expect to chip off chipped off. Making the hole slightly too big on one side. So my first thought was, duct tape. I put some black duct tape (very very small amounts at a time) until the plug and IAT fit snug.

My question is this, lets just say for instance the car was travelling at a high rate of speed, and the air coming into the FWI is fairly hot, do I need to worry about the duct tape adhesive melting and the vapors being sucked into the engine for the piece that is inside the pipe? Or will it never get hot enough down there to melt the tape in the first place? I am assuming it will be fine, but wanted second opinions. Thanks.

O, and I set it so it hangs right behind the metal that separates the engine compartment from the fw so im fairly certain not much heat gets to it.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#55792 - 01/01/05 01:48 PM Re: Its broke? Duct tape it?
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Put the piece in with black RTV it will hold and last ,NO DUCT TAPE PLEASE.
#55793 - 01/01/05 09:49 PM Re: Its broke? Duct tape it?
InitialDGP Offline
Is it for that reason that I shouldnt duct tape it? There is barely any on the inside of the pipe and even then the grommet is covering most of it, I could cut the tape so it does cover all of it. Or is this still a bad idea? The hole is already made so id still have to body plug it but this holds it in place
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#55794 - 01/02/05 10:57 AM Re: Its broke? Duct tape it?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Tape on the inside of the intake? If so that's bad juju. Just get some black RTV and seal up your IAT.
#55795 - 01/02/05 12:28 PM Re: Its broke? Duct tape it?
InitialDGP Offline
Agreed, I didnt even put it on yet was waiting for anwsers on that one, it was only maybe half a cm to hold on the inside, but yea ill do that.
#55796 - 01/03/05 01:57 PM Re: Its broke? Duct tape it?
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
why would you want your IAT sensor in your fenderwall. Wouldnt you want it as close to the throttle body as you can get that way the reading is more acurate to what air is actually going into your TB. It just seems like with the heat from the engine compartment the tube near the TB would be warming causing that air to warm slightly. This would give your PCM a false reading on the actual air temp, just like one of those resistors.

Maybe im way off, does this make sense????

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#55797 - 01/03/05 03:31 PM Re: Its broke? Duct tape it?
InitialDGP Offline
This was the explanation that sold me http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Sc...ry_Code=GPUNDER

I notice a very slight diff when I have it down near the filter as opposed to when its near the tb
#55798 - 01/03/05 03:34 PM Re: Its broke? Duct tape it?
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Wasn't there a topic on this a while back??? I think someone pointed out that the position of the IAT Sensor is just fine.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#55799 - 01/04/05 06:24 PM Re: Its broke? Duct tape it?
Bryan R Offline
Loc: Portland
If you don't want to use RTV, at least use some sort of epoxy. There is this stuff, (I forget what it's called), that comes in two tubes. A Black cream, and a white cream. (I think the white cream is the activator). When you mix it, it forms a grey paste. Within about 30 minutes, this stuff will harden like a rock. Some of it's applications is to patch holes on your exhaust and/or cooling system. You could use this to make the hole the correct size.