Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34432 - 04/29/05 04:50 PM Paint blahs
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
So there I was putting gas in the car, when I look down at the fender..a large piece of clearcoated black paint...falls off!!!!
I mean it doesnt scrape off, it doesnt chip off...it didnt even rust off....It simply fell off the body leaving a nice shiny glavanized protion of steel exposed to all the elements. So whats next? I mean GM didnt help me at all except to say...Ohh ya seen that before...nuthin I can do cuz its not a rust through!!
However they will be happy to repaint the panel for $500.00. Any one else have a similar experiance? With a happier outcome?
#34433 - 04/29/05 06:22 PM Re: Paint blahs
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
jawdrop
got any pics of it?

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#34434 - 04/29/05 07:37 PM Re: Paint blahs
WYTHE Offline
Loc: Campbell River B.C.
What year is your car? Dealerships are f*#kers.
#34435 - 04/29/05 09:27 PM Re: Paint blahs
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
I am surprised to see this happening on a late model car.

This was an issue in the 80's where the government lowered the petroleum solvent content in automotive paint. Their (car companies) attempts weren't super successful at first. You may see some late 80's cars with spots of bare metal.
My sister-in-law had the same problem. We took it back to the dealer and they repainted it. I believe you can do the same with yours.

See "THE GOVERNMENT GETS INVOLVED" at the bottom.
http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=46

Also,
http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1995/January/13.html

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#34436 - 05/02/05 08:34 AM Re: Paint blahs
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
1999, 2 winters and maintained from day 1. Its clearly a paint problem, I believe it to be a warranty issue, but GM disagrees. I love this car, but between the heads up display that cant decide between bright and off, and the dual climate control that dictates the temp it wants. Im loosing a little faith here. The tranny has been replaced twice under warranty as has many major components. Now that the warranty is almost over....I cant help but wonder whats next. Like I said luv the car..hate the repair list.