Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116238 - 08/23/05 05:28 AM plug change?
97gtpblk Offline
Loc: buffalo ny
I must addmit, I love this site. Anyways Im going to change plugs, and Im completely stock. Im going AC delco all the way. To get to the back plug thats all I do, is disconnect, the bolts at the "dog bones", and pull the motor forward. Well how do I pull it forward. Can I pull it, like i read here, or do I put the car in drive and .......?
Thanks K.D.
#116239 - 08/23/05 07:58 AM Re: plug change?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Pull it forward and on the dogbone on the passengers side you'll see a hole reinstall the bolt in that hole and it will hold the motor out of the way enough to change the rear plugs.
#116240 - 08/23/05 07:10 PM Re: plug change?
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
I was able to do it without rolling the engine forward. I had a ratchet with a joint in it that would allow up to a 90 degree curve and still work. It's worth your time to at least find out if you can do it with the tools you have.
#116241 - 08/23/05 10:30 PM Re: plug change?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

Changing plugs without rocking the engine forward is simple if you are familiar with doing so. The first couple of times I rocked the engine, now I feel rocking the engine just wastes precious time. You can unload the bolts from the dog bones, and pull on the alternator to rock the engine. As Herc said, there is a secondary hole in the engine bracket that holds the coil packs to stick the bolt back into and hold the engine in the forward position.
Taking the boots off of the plugs can be a chore in itself. be sure to get them loose by twisting them before pulling on them. Also, be prepared to change the wires if you you have over 50K, and have never changed the plugs. The connectors have a tendancy of staying on the plug.... Not always, just giving fair warning.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com