Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5415 - 01/10/06 09:42 AM What to do?
Tooon Offline
Loc: Houston Tx. 77066
Ok so I'm back from my trip, and I have $1583 to spend on my car. Problem is I don't know what I should do. I either want an LSD or a full exhaust system (from the headers all the way back to mufflers). Could use yall guys and gals help to make this easier lol. cheers

Thanks
Chris
#5416 - 01/10/06 10:03 AM Re: What to do?
ohgrfreak Offline
Loc: KC, Mo
I don't know how you drive your car, so I can't suggest a LSD. I would personally get the exhaust, I don't really drive that hard to justify getting an LSD, but I'd love the growl of a new exhaust.
#5417 - 01/10/06 10:37 AM Re: What to do?
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
I'd go with the exhaust as well.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#5418 - 01/10/06 10:48 AM Re: What to do?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Don't waste your money on a catback. LSD is gonna eat up quite abit of that. Here's what I'd do if I had 1500 to spend on my car. Not sure what mods you have now so I'm gonna be generic here.

PCM
3 inch DP
Mufflers (gotta have the growl)
SLP spoiler
3.4 pulley
PEMs
Depending on how much is left over a set of rockers.

smile

Ahh screw the spoiler get the rockers hammer
#5419 - 01/10/06 11:34 AM Re: What to do?
framos242 Offline
Think he has his heart set on headers.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

#5420 - 01/10/06 01:11 PM Re: What to do?
vmschumacher Offline
Loc: Imperial, Mo
Full exhaust, but not a kit. Get some good mufflers and tips and have someone make the system. I had my cat-back (Flowmaster Hushpower, SilverLine tips, 2.5 piping throughout, all mandrel bent) made for half the price of any complete kit. Get a reputable but lower cost shop.

2006 Durango Limited Hemi 4x4
#5421 - 01/10/06 02:15 PM Re: What to do?
framos242 Offline
The rest of the money saved can be used for something else or saved for the nest big project you want...

#5422 - 01/10/06 02:43 PM Re: What to do?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
I still like my plan the best wink most bang for the buck hammer
#5423 - 01/10/06 09:03 PM Re: What to do?
Tooon Offline
quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Don't waste your money on a catback. LSD is gonna eat up quite abit of that. Here's what I'd do if I had 1500 to spend on my car. Not sure what mods you have now so I'm gonna be generic here.

PCM
3 inch DP
Mufflers (gotta have the growl)
SLP spoiler
3.4 pulley
PEMs
Depending on how much is left over a set of rockers.

smile

Ahh screw the spoiler get the rockers devilsmile
#5424 - 01/10/06 09:13 PM Re: What to do?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
I thought you had an SE?

http://pdxcgp.com
#5425 - 01/10/06 09:27 PM Re: What to do?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Headers would be nice but they are damn expensive. You can do so much more with that money.
#5426 - 01/10/06 10:07 PM Re: What to do?
Tooon Offline
Quote:
Headers would be nice but they are damn expensive. You can do so much more with that money.
Yea they are expensive in fact it would probably take my entire $1500 to buy and install them lol, but I think its worth it. crazy

Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
I thought you had an SE?
Nope I have a green gtp coupe devilsmile
#5427 - 01/10/06 11:20 PM Re: What to do?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
I'm with Herc.

With the minimal mods you will be dealing with, Headers will look good, but you won't feel anything in the ass dyno, because it's quite possible you will lose a bit out of the bottom end.
Headers increase flow so much, that you actually lose boost. You would gain a few ponies at the top of your power band but you don't REALLY start gaining from headers until you have mods that support a 3.25 pulley, or smaller. If you are planning for the future headers would be the way to go, but if you want to make your $1500 make you go fast now, I would consider other bolt ons.... PEM's are bolt in, no fabricating required, and would be quite sufficient for the mods you have in mind.

Don't forget a CAI, and some heat protection for the Throttle Body. If you still have the U-bend, get rid of it.

http://pdxcgp.com
#5428 - 01/11/06 06:33 AM Re: What to do?
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
If your heart is set on headers the best route for tha a mount you have to spend would be S&S headers ,hi-flow cat and a custom built cat back to Magnaflow muffs ,this is about the nicest sounding system I've heard on a GP ,of course there are other mods probably better at your point but exaust mods will allow you to take better advantage of future mods,as far as the stock cat back it's ok but I would go to at least a 2 1/2" custom with a better rear Y design ,a good exaust shop should be able to hook you up for about $500.Chico.
#5429 - 01/11/06 10:13 AM Re: What to do?
Tooon Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:

With the minimal mods you will be dealing with, Headers will look good, but you won't feel anything in the ass dyno, because it's quite possible you will lose a bit out of the bottom end.
Headers increase flow so much, that you actually lose boost. You would gain a few ponies at the top of your power band but you don't REALLY start gaining from headers until you have mods that support a 3.25 pulley, or smaller. If you are planning for the future headers would be the way to go, but if you want to make your $1500 make you go fast now, I would consider other bolt ons.... PEM's are bolt in, no fabricating required, and would be quite sufficient for the mods you have in mind.

Don't forget a CAI, and some heat protection for the Throttle Body. If you still have the U-bend, get rid of it.
Well since you put it that way. What i had planned in my mind was to get the headers with a high flow cat to free up the exhaust but leave the rest stock because I don't like loud exhuasts at all. (If that sounds like a bad idea I would like to know) Then begin to save money and get the list of things Herc posted I should get because I will be able to save up and install those things faster because they are cheaper. So basicly I would get the headers now then in a few months get the PCM, 3.4 pulley, and the PEMs. (Sry to sound stupid but what exactly are PEMs?) and i already have a Thrasher CAI. Does that sound like a good plan or should I do what yall have been saying because it would be better? I would just like to have the headers because the cost so much and I know if I spend the money else were then its gonna take me a good while to save back up to $1500 to be able to afford the headers again.
cheers
Thanks
Chris