Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83391 - 08/25/06 11:23 PM Please help. Need info before buying
Mike_F Offline
Loc: Detroit
Hey guys, my name is Mike Fallat, Im a 21 year old college student (Electrical and computer engineering). I am brand new to this forum so I would like to start off by saying hello to everyone.

I'm currently considering buying a 2000 Grand Prix GT to use as a daily driver. My summer\project car is a 96 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo. Usually my trend is to buy sub 1000 dollar beaters for my daily driver\winter cars, run them into the ground and buy a new one when that time comes. In truth Im sooo tired of working on cars all the time and not having reliable transportation. As well as being ashamed of these beater cars, and its just a pain to shop for a car every year. For this reason I have been looking at buying a newer vehicle to use as my daily driver.
Now I know you guys are obviously a little biased, but Im wondering if you can shed any insight on the reliability and longevity of these vehicles. My personal goal is to get this car to last 4 years \ 60k miles, without any MAJOR problems. Of course regular maintainince issues will come up as with any car, and thats understood. Im mainly hoping I can get the motor and tranny to last that long.
Do you guys think that this goal is achievable for a 2000 Grand Prix GT with 60k on the clock? Also the seller is asking 8000 dollars for his car. Now the car is in immaculate condition for its age and mileage, it looks brand new, has new tires and brakes, it also seems to have every single option other then supercharger (power windows, seats, sunroof, leather, heads up projector, etc.) Does this seem like a fair price?
Is there any problem areas specific to these cars that I should look at closely before buying?
The engine bay looks pretty packed, are these cars usually difficult to work on?

Sorry for the long post, I'v never paid this much for a vehicle before, and if I spend this amount of money Im trying to be as informed as I can so I can make a wise decision.
Thanks in advance to any replies
-Mike
#83392 - 08/26/06 12:14 AM Re: Please help. Need info before buying
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
Grand Prix are very good cars and as long as proper maintainince is done, the car will last a long while. The engine used can get to 200k miles or more and still keep right on going. Transmission can get there too. Sounds like the owner has treated the car very well and it could last you more than 4 years/60k miles you want it to. New tires and brakes are a def plus to the car as well. That right there can be 1,000 bucks, so thats good to see.

First off, start with the basics with the car. Test the AC, heater, windows, sun roof, brakes, headlights, turn signals, and anything else in the car. Look closely at the brakes...if the rotars are new/just turned, they'll look very nice, have litte to no rust. In the engine, look for any oil leaks from anywhere along with other fluids. Check the oil, transmission fluid, and coolant.

For how long the car will last...it def could last for over a 100k miles. My car a 96 GP, SE coupe, with 133k miles on it. I can go out, floor it and it still has plenty power, with no slipping, no knocking, etc. Just take care of the car and it'll last a long while. smile

Price wise, it does seem maybe just a hair high...but that's probably because it has new tires and brakes, along with every option for the car. I would try talking them down to 7,500, but even if they don't move, it doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Jesse
#83393 - 08/26/06 08:51 AM Re: Please help. Need info before buying
nickgrandprix Offline
Loc: Stratford Ont
i have a 99 pg gt and i have 250500km in it and my Transmission hhas not been done it has the same in it 250500km and still going
#83394 - 08/26/06 01:23 PM Re: Please help. Need info before buying
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I agree, $8000 is a high asking price, I baught my 2000 GT from a $tealership with Tax, Tags, Title, and all the fees I paid $7500 for it with 54K miles on it... but if you do get it, you will LOVE this car
#83395 - 08/26/06 01:31 PM Re: Please help. Need info before buying
1BAD97 Offline
Loc: Texas
Def. run a carfax on it, and see if it's had a lot of mechanical problems in the past. Some GP's just seem to have never-ending little problems, while the majority will give little to no problems. A GT should last you a really long time, the trans should hold up longer since it's making a LOT less TQ than a GTP. You also won't have to worry about KR popping a piston on you.

I've got a '99 GPGT I modded a little and raced for years, put about 50k hard miles on it, and never a single engine/trans problem from it. Just did all the regular maintenance to it (and twice yearly trans fluid/filter changes). No problems from the interior, either (other than the "trac off" bulb burning out, lol)

These cars are VERY easy to work on, as well. I just put a motor into one, and hooked everything up by myself in a day. Changing out an alternator is a 20 min. job, water pump is just as easy, disc brakes all the way around so pads are easy to change, etc. You get the idea. Good luck.
#83396 - 08/26/06 01:59 PM Re: Please help. Need info before buying
Mike_F Offline
Loc: Detroit
Thanks for the quick replies guys, its really helped convince me that a Grand Prix is a good car for what I will be using it for. Everyone seems to think $8000 is a bit high. What do you guys think a FAIR offer is for the car. Im not looking to try to get the car for a steal or lowball the owner. Its a nice car and Im not gonna insult him with an incredibly low offer. Hes ASKING 8700, I got him down to 8000.

Again, the car is a black, 2000, GT, has 57k miles, is in virtually MINT condition, been owned and driven by a female who bought it at 15k miles and drove it to and from school. New brakes, new tires, the car was just professionaly detailed. Carfax is clean as a whistle. As for options, it has Bose sound system, power seats, power sunroof, tinted glass, remote start, heated leather seats, windshield projector, alarm. etc. Everything works. The only reason they are selling it is because the female got a company car from her new job and there is simply no need for it anymore.

Thanks so far for the input, hopefully Ill be able to buy this car and you guys will be hearing from me regularly on the boards.
-Mike
#83397 - 08/26/06 03:13 PM Re: Please help. Need info before buying
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Id suggest offer 7500 then settle around 77....
#83398 - 08/26/06 06:21 PM Re: Please help. Need info before buying
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
I just thought of something...friend of mine drove a car with a 3.1L V6 (1990 Z-24), so it's not the same engine, but they are related. He would always forget to change his oil, this could be for 20,000 miles. I know how he drives, so it's safe to say it red lined a minium of once a day. It went for over 300,000 miles on the orginal transmission and engine...the only reason it died was he changed his oil and forgot to add new oil...So those engines can take a lot and keep right on going.
#83399 - 08/26/06 06:42 PM Re: Please help. Need info before buying
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Agreed. 7500 and walk at any price above 7700.

The 3800 was GM's traditional V6 engine that they used on mostly all their mid sized vechicles. Its pretty seasoned so there are no "notorious bugs". Its known for taking a lot. If you are not planning on any serious modifications, it should last 5+ years with no serious issues. When you start adding power, the key thing to watch out for is the tranny, which is the realtively weak point.

The only other thing that stands out is the intake manifold gasket can start to go due to the dexicool eating away at it. This is rare, but just want to be realistic and point out the problem areas.

Just change its oil and use the remaining time to get that twin turbo going!

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#83400 - 08/28/06 02:07 PM Re: Please help. Need info before buying
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
When I first bought my car I was thinking the same way far as reliability of these cars and I've had it for 2years and only had 2 problems with it and both of the problems were covered under warranty so I very impressed and I know for a fact that you take advice from these guys and you will be satisfied.
#83401 - 08/28/06 03:03 PM Re: Please help. Need info before buying
Richard Candelario Offline
doing a search on Kelly Blue Book or N.A.D.A. will show our cars (I have a 2000 GT) value at or about 8,000 USD. If anything, due to the miles, the car might be worth more. The value I estimated above is with a 00 GT that has 100k+ miles on it. good luck, you are gonna LOVE the GPGT.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#83402 - 08/28/06 03:59 PM Re: Please help. Need info before buying
Chunkee Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
I had a Ford Taurus SHO before this car. I would sink 1000.00 a month in that car in repairs. I still have over 28k in reciepts!
I too got sick or repairing cars and wanted something reliable. I did my homework and came up with Grand Prix's...I have had mine for a little over 4 months and it runs/look/behaves awesomely, in fact I am going to say its the best car I have owned as far as reliability so far and I have owned a ton of cars, including brand new ones.