Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#69486 - 09/15/06 09:19 PM Just bought my new car!!
Mike_F Offline
Loc: Detroit
Hey guys, I posted a few weeks ago asking for advice with buying a car. I wasn't able to get the particular vehicle I was posting about, as someone left a deposit before I had a chance to pick it up.
The vehicle I ended up with is a 99 GTP. I paid $8500 for it, and it has 64k miles. I probably paid a little too much, but the car was immaculate, had everything I wanted, and I am in DIRE need of a vehicle as I dont like using my twin turbo Stealth as a daily driver, especially as I work in a bad area.
Iv never owned a supercharged vehicle before. The owner told me that it has a slightly larger pully on it, and is running around 8 psi. He also included an uninstalled, brand new, aftermarket tranny cooler. I don't plan on modding this vehicle, but if its something that may increase the longevity of the tranny, then I may install it. If not, how much would it go for on ebay? Is there any type of maintainance that needs to be done at 60k?
Also the only problem I can find with the vehicle is that the heated seats don't seem to be working, that or I dont know how to use them. I assume that all I have to do is flip the switch and it should get hot right? Any ideas what I should check for the heated seats?
Im sure you guys will be hearing from me regularly on the boards, so im sure it will be a pleasure being part of the community.
-Mike
#69487 - 09/15/06 09:49 PM Re: Just bought my new car!!
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Welcome.

For the heated seats, yes you should just flip the switch and it should get warm within a couple minutes. I don't know any fix or way to test without removing the appolstery and putting a new heating element in. Someone else might have a better solution.

Most people around here shy away from tranny coolers. They seem to create more leaks and headaches than what they are worth.

I think the stock pulley is 8psi. Measure it. Stock pulley is 3.8"

I think you made a great choice for a solid, reliable daily driver that can still pull some good horsepower.
#69488 - 09/15/06 09:52 PM Re: Just bought my new car!!
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Welcome Mike!!

8 psi is about what the factory pulley will give you.

Unless you know it's been done recently, I would change plugs, wires, tranny fluid and make sure the brakes are in good shape.

The tranny cooler isn't really necessary unless you are doing a lot of hill climbing, or pulling a trailer(not recommended by GM) The biggest drawback of installing a cooler is the possibilities of leaks. Other than that, it's really up to you. Dunno what it's worth.

You should only have 1 heated seat. If you have 2, maybe they tied into the same circuit at the drivers side and it keep blowing the fuse.... Regardless, I'd start with the fuse, and check the connections at the base of the rear of the seat.

http://pdxcgp.com
#69489 - 09/15/06 09:59 PM Re: Just bought my new car!!
Tech Offline
Loc: Garden City, KS
Congrats on the purchase. Got any pics of that TT Stealth?
#69490 - 09/15/06 10:45 PM Re: Just bought my new car!!
Kansas GXP Offline
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Welcome! $8500 sounds like a fair price for that year of car, and mileage... you will enjoy it. Great everyday driver. As for the seats, check the fuse, and all of the connections ( at the seat, and the switch)
#69491 - 09/15/06 11:00 PM Re: Just bought my new car!!
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Welcome!
I'd also suggest changing the S/C fluid and fuel filter.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#69492 - 09/16/06 01:03 AM Re: Just bought my new car!!
Mike_F Offline
Loc: Detroit
Thanks for the input. Ill look into doing a tune up and changing all the fluids. I have pictures of my Stealth and can take some of the new Grand Prix if anyone wants to see them. How do I upload pics on here, or do I have to host them somewhere and link them?
#69493 - 09/16/06 06:27 AM Re: Just bought my new car!!
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
host them through another site such as photobucket.
#69494 - 09/16/06 08:21 AM Re: Just bought my new car!!
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
You can post some pics of the Grand Prix IF anyone wants to see them?
Around here that's nearly a requirement for all noobs.

lol

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#69495 - 09/16/06 12:06 PM Re: Just bought my new car!!
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by AustinGTP:
You can post some pics of the Grand Prix [b]IF anyone wants to see them?
Around here that's nearly a requirement for all noobs.

lol [/b]
Is this in the Rules section? lol