Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#18432 - 12/31/06 03:16 PM air bags-shop
1997grandprixgtpsaginawmi Offline
Loc: Saginaw MI
Well after about 18 hrs of hard work, the dash is all put back on, air bags in the steering wheel and glove box area are all put in. The cars goes to the shop on wensday thank god my car will finally look normal. Gonna get full coverage even though the car is worth $5000.
#18433 - 12/31/06 04:36 PM Re: air bags-shop
SteveOGTP Offline
Loc: reynoldsburg, ohio
my srs airbag light comes on about once a week maybe alittle less but it goes off the next time I start the car... same with my ses light so I jsut igore it
#18434 - 12/31/06 05:42 PM Re: air bags-shop
bikrboy128 Offline
Loc: Illinois
or just get behind the IP and pull the bulb out laugh
#18435 - 12/31/06 09:56 PM Re: air bags-shop
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Airbags aren't a waste of money or time. Just cause they make things a little harder to work with doesn't mean they are worthless.
#18436 - 12/31/06 11:33 PM Re: air bags-shop
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Man I hate things that can potentially save a life. Screw life vests, seat belts, and inner tubes... hate that crap.

crazy

'97 SE with alot of mods
#18437 - 01/01/07 01:07 AM Re: air bags-shop
Well I personally believe that cars made before air bags are much better. Im talkin the older pushers from the 1970s and 1980s before all the electronic junk. lol Yeah if you wear your seat belt your good as new in most cases. Yep 2 more days till it goes into the shop
#18438 - 01/01/07 02:46 AM Re: air bags-shop
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
Why do you think that air bags are required in cars? The 70's and 80's cars werent as safe as you think. They were made of more durible materials but they also, for the most part, lacked crumple zones and shock absorbant material. I would rather go head first into an airbag that will bruise my face, maybe break my nose than hit a steering wheel or dash that'll completely break my face.

Its also not a bright idea to admit to insurance fraud on a public forum.
#18439 - 01/01/07 04:00 AM Re: air bags-shop
Oh well I admitted to insurance fraud my fault oh well no harm can be done when it hasnt been done. lol Have a nice day!!!
#18440 - 01/01/07 07:53 AM Re: air bags-shop
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Quote:
Originally posted by 1997grandprixgtpsaginawmi:
Well after about 18 hrs of hard work, the dash is all put back on, air bags in the steering wheel and glove box area are all put in. My only question is why is the air bag lights still on the dash. If when I send my PCM in can i have them just delete the whole SRS air bag code right out of the computer if so that would be cool. Air bags are stupid anyway I think just a big hassle and waste of times. YOur input would be appreciated.
Check for a loose nut behind the wheel... hammer

If your SRS light is still on (and I'm guessing you reconnected the airbags and replaced the SIR fuse), then a problem still remains in the system, and my comment, from the first thread of yours on this subject...:

Air bag systems are not something for the DIYer to fool around with, especially after being deployed in an accident. You don't know what other components in the system may have been damaged, and bear in mind those air bags allowed you to share your misfortune with the rest of us. Bring it to a pro. Please!

...still applies here. Until you're willing to have the car scanned for SIR codes to determine what else needs to be replaced, you've only fixed part of the problem. Simple as that. In the end, it's your car, your life, and your choice. But don't be so quick to condemn a system that allowed you to walk away from an accident; you might not be so lucky a second time. Remember, you did ask for input... wink
#18441 - 01/01/07 08:00 AM Re: air bags-shop
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
You really need to give some thought into your comments before posting on a public website ,imagine this senario you go ahead with your little fraud sceme and then you post up how smart you were to beat the system ,you have now opened a can of worms that may bite you in the ass ,you see a lot of people are not happy with insuranse rates so it would'nt take much to make a phone call to the local PD and expose your brilliant plan .Chico.
#18442 - 01/01/07 01:04 PM Re: air bags-shop
Well thats a good point, never replaced the fuses yet Ill have to do that. Plus there is the SRS module underneath the passenger seat as well. Thanks for the help guys.
#18443 - 01/01/07 01:25 PM Re: air bags-shop
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
If you turned the key on without putting the SIR fuse back in, that will make the SRS light come on, and that's normal. If it comes on with the fuse installed, then there's one or more codes in the SIR system. DO NOT mess with the SDR module under the passenger seat with the system powered up, or you may end up replacing the airbags again.
#18444 - 01/01/07 05:47 PM Re: air bags-shop
BTC13 Offline
Loc: Neptune Beach, FL
If you ever get in a wreck in which your airbag does deploy, you'll thank the bastard that eventually made it a requirement in US vehicles. It's not a lot of fun eating a steering whell, windshield, or dash. While cars from the 70's had a better survivability rating themselves, the people in them didn't. Where you would have broken or even lost the use of your legs before, the crumple zones and other things engineered safety aspects of modern cars tend to focus on passenger survival rather than car survival. I can buy another car. While I don't mind working around the airbags, I will make damn sure they are installed properly and do work. Anyone that disables one needs to take a trip thru the windshiled already and make the roads safer for the rest of us. By the way, be careful about posting about your insurance scams, never know who's watching what on the boards.
1994 Ford Mustang
1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby T II(putting back together)
#18445 - 01/01/07 11:40 PM Re: air bags-shop
Yeah, yeah its a lot of work removing the module from underneath the passenger seat anyway. Im gonna replace the fuse and if that doesnt fix it then im just gonna simply take the battery off for a couple of hrs to reset the codes.. If that dont work then oh well. Well thanks for the help guys. ANd about the winshield that was simply a joke that I thought I might mention.