Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#88242 - 03/12/07 11:19 AM Carwash
The Fridge Offline
Loc: Green Bay Wisconsin
hey all, I have this problem that no car wash in town can clean my car.

Automatics leave soap that leaks out of the headlights, tailights, trim, gas cap and spoiler.

The do it yourselfs leave my car filmy.

The place that i work at is a smartform full contact wash that works awesome except for the soap in the spoiler and gas cap.

I am thinking i am going to hand wash at home. I need contact to clean the film.

Problem is:

If i go to a do it yourself i can stick in my $2 and prep it with soap untill my 5min is up. scrub it then stick in another $2 and rinse for 5min untill done.

If i do it at home i have to find a way to have a spot free rinse. Hose water at my house is horrible.

- Is the Mr. Clean car wash system worth the $20 + chemicals?

- What do you guys do to get your car spotless. I am a little OCD when it comes to my car.

Thanks

CAI, 180deg thermostat

If Your Drinking A Coke Please PM Me The Code Eh?
#88243 - 03/12/07 11:21 AM Re: Carwash
The Fridge Offline
Loc: Green Bay Wisconsin
Plus there is only one do it yourself spot in town and it is always so dark and dirty that i end up tracking mud into my car.

CAI, 180deg thermostat

If Your Drinking A Coke Please PM Me The Code Eh?
#88244 - 03/12/07 12:35 PM Re: Carwash
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
yes the Mr clean thing works great for spotless rinse, as long as you get all the soap rinsed off the car first, and most of the time when a person hand washes their car, I would bet that they use a chamois to dry it off (I know I do), which also leaves a spot free dry without the Mr Clean system. I would just go get a good, large leather chamois and do it that way, cause you can't wax a wet car.

hope that helps!
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#88245 - 03/12/07 01:15 PM Re: Carwash
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
mr clean is good but the filters get dirty alot and then all of the soap you use... i have one ... but i also have soft water out of our hose so its not as bad then ... i really like my mr clean i just havent used it for a while because i need a new filter
#88246 - 03/12/07 05:09 PM Re: Carwash
Richard Candelario Offline
Hose water, Meguire's Car wash, and a good, large, REAL sheepskin chamois. For those that aren't familiar, desert water is incredibly high in minerals and metals. So high, in fact, that our water is slightly more of an acid. Also, over YEARS of drinking public/well water, people have been known to grow rocks in thier digestive tract. Moral of the story: use a chamois, you'll be fine.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#88247 - 03/12/07 07:39 PM Re: Carwash
Lars819 Offline
Loc: Route 66 Speedway
I used to use the california waterblade on my camar but the problem with that is if it get dirty a little bit you gotta be very careful with it or its trashed after dirt but it leaves no spots. but yeah time and patience is all you need.
#88248 - 03/12/07 07:40 PM Re: Carwash
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
chamois's are great!! I second that.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#88249 - 03/12/07 09:24 PM Re: Carwash
T.J. Offline
Loc: Tennessee
dawn dish soap... chamois
#88250 - 03/12/07 09:34 PM Re: Carwash
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Use a foam gun, powerwasher, the california blade and a chamoics.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#88251 - 03/12/07 09:53 PM Re: Carwash
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by T.J.:
dawn dish soap... chamois
Do you want any wax left on your car?

If you don't mind rewaxing after every wash go ahead and use dish soap.

Dish soap is designed to cut through grease and wax won't hold up. The same goes for laundry detergent.

I didn't care for the mister clean system. Mine leaked like a siv (bought it when it first came out) The filter clogged quick, took forever to rinse. So I got rid of it. I wash and rinse the car in sections and constantly rewet what I washed to prevent premature drying and then wipe down the whole car with a chami (get a real one not a synthetic) and do it in the shade. With a quality soap and wax you shouldn't have to worry about spots.
#88252 - 03/12/07 11:30 PM Re: Carwash
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
I had good experiences with my Mr. Clean system. I never replaced the filter and just used normal Meguiars soap without any problems.
#88253 - 03/13/07 12:08 AM Re: Carwash
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Quote:
Originally posted by T.J.:
[b] dawn dish soap... chamois
Do you want any wax left on your car?

If you don't mind rewaxing after every wash go ahead and use dish soap.

Dish soap is designed to cut through grease and wax won't hold up. The same goes for laundry detergent.

I wash and rinse the car in sections and constantly rewet what I washed to prevent premature drying and then wipe down the whole car with a chami (get a real one not a synthetic) and do it in the shade. With a quality soap and wax you shouldn't have to worry about spots. [/b]
jj

I'm totally with Herc on this one..... I bought a Black GTP 7 years ago and I still show it during the summer with people asking me what I use for wax. If you are looking for the best shine I would suggest the same with any color.

Washing a Black car is tough... Best results happen in the shade, and hand drying is a must. If you don't have a Black car you have it much easier, shade isn't as important, but pending on your water quality, you may want to do what ever you can to keep the water from evaporating off the paint.

Use a car wash formula unless you plan on waxing it after washing it. As Herc said, dishwashing, and laundry detergent is only recommended to strip the car before waxing.

http://pdxcgp.com
#88254 - 03/13/07 01:44 AM Re: Carwash
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
IIRC, every decent wax that I have used in the past, say do not apply wax in sunlight, cause it will bake on the pint and it is a HUGE PITA to get buffed!!
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#88255 - 03/13/07 10:30 AM Re: Carwash
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Turtle Wax's new ICE series is the only wax I have ever seen that lets you put it on in the sun.
#88256 - 03/13/07 10:58 PM Re: Carwash
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
That mr carwash stuff was good but every three to four weeks the filter turns black and those filters was cheap either so thats why its sitting in the garage shelf, but it does what its suppose to do but every since I bought meguires nxt wax and carwash, its shines like a new car from the dealership.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >