Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53345 - 05/25/07 01:35 PM Need help
GTPJesse Offline
Loc: Wis
Hey Guys,

Well I feel stupid because I bought a 180 T-stat with the O-ring, and I cant seem to find where the T-stat sit......sorry I'm lame. But everyone needs help everyone once in awhile, and thanks in advance!

Ooooo you could also explain how to change the T-stat that will also HELP ALOT!!!

Thanks

GTPJesse
Appearance mods= 20% tint all around, HID's, rerouted flashes to fogs and tails, front grill has a Red Gtp badge,Calipers painted red, engine cover painted silver, and with red lettering, rear pontiac red overlays, and side Gtp badges have red overlays, Silver star fogs, A piller w/gauges boost installed, oil, knock have to be installed, and a GPS.

Mods to come= 3" DP, and others........haven't thought about it
#53346 - 05/25/07 01:54 PM Re: Need help
Richard Candelario Offline
Thermostat Replacement (Chapter 3 Section 3, PP 3-3 - 3-4) Haynes Repair Manual 38010 (GM: Buick Regal; Chevy Lumina (90-94); Olds Cutlass Supreme (88-99); Poncho GP (88-99)

Remove Air Cleaner, if rqrd for access

follow upper radiator hose to engine and locate thermostat cover

loosen hose clamp

remove the nuts and bolts and remove thermostat cover. If stuck, tap with soft-face hammer. Be prepared for coolant spillage as gasket breaks

note which way is up for reinstall

remove all old gasket material. and clean mating surfaces with lacquer thinner or acetone

some [t-stats have a rubber o-ring], if yours has this [o-ring] replace it at this time

install new [t-stat]. spring normally faces toward engine

on...3800 engines, put RTV around bolt threads and torque to [20 in-lbs]

all other steps are reversal of removal

start engine and allow to reach normal operating temperature. check for leaks.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#53347 - 05/25/07 03:30 PM Re: Need help
GTPJesse Offline
Hey Richard,

Thanks for the help! But I found the two nuts/bolts that hold the unit in place. But I can't seem to loosen them at all......should I try alittle wd 40? Or just keep trying?
Appearance mods= 20% tint all around, HID's, rerouted flashes to fogs and tails, front grill has a Red Gtp badge,Calipers painted red, engine cover painted silver, and with red lettering, rear pontiac red overlays, and side Gtp badges have red overlays, Silver star fogs, A piller w/gauges boost installed, oil, knock have to be installed, and a GPS.

#53348 - 05/25/07 03:51 PM Re: Need help
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
GTPJesse,

Place a 3/8" extension bar on the bolt head and tap the other end with a hammer. Spray some WD 40 or PB Blaster on them, let them soak, and give them another tap with the hammer. hammer

Found a write up here: Thermostat swap
#53349 - 05/25/07 05:30 PM Re: Need help
GTPJesse Offline
Thanks Blackarrow, and Richard! I found the unit, and I hammered it like you said, and know I have 180 T-stat!!!

#53350 - 05/25/07 06:08 PM Re: Need help
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Congrats! Dont feel dumb posting questions like that. Im sure i annoyed everyone around here when i first started modding. But you have to start somewhere! Im glad that you got it done
#53351 - 05/25/07 06:08 PM Re: Need help
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Once you get the new one installed and you start the car, let it run for a little bit then loosen the plug (bolt head) on thop of the T-stat housing. Loosen it until coolant comes out, then tighten it.

That's "Burping" the system.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#53352 - 05/25/07 07:57 PM Re: Need help
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Quote:
Originally posted by GTPJesse:
Thanks Blackarrow, and Richard! I found the unit, and I hammered it like you said, and know I have 180 T-stat!!!
Congrats on gettin' it done; next time you're in an auto parts store, pick up a bottle of anti-seize. Put a little dab on those bolt threads, and it'll be easier to take apart next time around... wink