Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93594 - 07/17/07 11:37 AM Headunits
MsBehavior Offline
Loc: York, PA
Well I bought this ipod adapter from Crutchfield. It doesn't work. While installing the damn thing I locked the radio. Really pissed me off to say the least. Got it unlocked (I can't believe the dealership wants to charge for that! Thank god for internet!!!).

Now I"m going to install an aftermarket. I'm a big Kenwood fan. But open to options. I don't need anything super fancy. Basically I want it to be able to play an ipod, and eventually a Sirius Sat. I was looking at the GM Pioneer headunits. But they are only good for XM basically. Not what I want.

Would you guys have some pics of the headunits installed in your cars? I really don't want a huge amount of empty space in the dash. Kinda want it to look like it belongs there. Make sense?

Looking for suggestions too smile

Thanks again all!
#93595 - 07/17/07 11:59 AM Re: Headunits
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I know your steamed but easy on the typed language...try @#*&! or even frak! laugh

most all of the aftermarket headunits are going to be the single din size...the faceplate kit centers the smaller unit in the existing dash space and gives a nice finished look. I had to do the same thing when I had the Alpine unit installed in my old Intrepid and the install looked clean and nice.
I'm partial to Alpine because of how well that unit has held up (my son is still kickin it big time)...a lot of the choices out there depend on what youre willing to keep or give up. For me I wanted a unit that kept the steering wheel controls, was iPod ready and had red button lighting (to match the factory color)...if your willing to give up the wheel controls and red lighting the choices are huge and resonably priced. If you want the whole ball of wax then Alpine, Blaupunkt and JVC are the only things I have found to fit the bill.
As far as working on your ride its always a good idea to start with disconnecting the battery. The theft deterent system is pretty effective so you'll want to avoid what you went thru again.
Hope this helps, I know I didnt hit many specifics but so much of this is personal choice...good luck with whatever you choose thumbsup

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#93596 - 07/17/07 01:11 PM Re: Headunits
MsBehavior Offline
Thats another one I want to do.... keep the steering wheel controls. And Alpine does that???

Sorry for the language. I'm annoyed. The car failed MD inspection. So I had to take it back to PA where I bought it to get the issues (even though minor) fixed. I work an hour away from MD so its all been crazy trying to get everything done. I can't even get the car titled or registered until is passes MD Inspection. I'm beyond frustrated with everything right now. And then the Lock out and the non working ipod. Now i"m stuck with this completely disgusting rental car.
#93597 - 07/17/07 01:58 PM Re: Headunits
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I'm running the JVC unit in my sig. It's XM and Sirius read, has red backlit buttons and black/white display. Matches the charcoal interior nicely. It is also Ipod compatible with a kit if I'm not mistaken, and around $100, so I can't complain. I needed something to replace my factory unit with the dead LCD light that was reasonably priced.
#93598 - 07/17/07 03:15 PM Re: Headunits
MsBehavior Offline
Is there any particular wording I need to look for so I know it will work with the steering wheel controls???
#93599 - 07/17/07 03:22 PM Re: Headunits
20gtp02 Offline
I believe you have to you need a PAC to hook up with the steering controls. I went to crutchfield.com and started to enter in your car info but I need to know coupe/sedan and if you have the Bose System and/or Onstar. If you want you can try crutchfield out. You can get all the info you want, even call them up with support and then decide where you want to purchase for the best deal! I like Kenwood also, but becareful when you are looking at them because some of there flip screen or fold-a-way receivers tend to break with the ribbon. They mave have done better now, but with the past few years they have had problems, we have had two and both went out.

Probably need this integration adaptor

Check these out

At the bottom it says kits, harness, and connectors....

Steering wheel controls

My HU 2

My HU 1

HU 3

PAC SWI-X

#93600 - 07/17/07 03:54 PM Re: Headunits
MsBehavior Offline
Unfortunately, Crutchfield lies. That little adapter I got for my ipod. They told me it would work if I had a CD Changer plug in the back of my headunit. Which I did. What they failed to mention was that I needed a Source or Aux button on the headunit. So it didn't work frown They also say that the Chrysler/GM Pioneer headunit will work with XM and Sirius. What they once again fail to mention is that if you go with Sirius, the headunit will not operate all of the control like it will with XM.

Thanks for the links. Will have to check it out smile
#93601 - 07/17/07 04:52 PM Re: Headunits
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
most all of the units I've looked at will say "steering wheel control ready" which means you still need the PAC-SWIX adapter...basically it turns your wheel controls into a wireless remote...I've looked at the headunit that RooK says he picked up he's dead on...its a nice unit with all the required goodies at a reasonable price (I thought the buttons were on the small side, but I got big fingers laugh )...you already have the iPod adaptor, you just need the PAC-SWX for your wheel controls and you should be about set...faceplate mount too thumbsup

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#93602 - 07/17/07 05:20 PM Re: Headunits
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
When you're ready to buy the PAC SWI-X adapter, ZZP seems to have the lowest price.. wink
#93603 - 07/17/07 08:49 PM Re: Headunits
2muchspl Offline
Loc: merrillville
when programming the swix, make sure direct sunlight isnt hitting the infared eye(s). it programs like a learning remote where you line up both remote, in this case the module of the swix.
#93604 - 07/18/07 07:13 PM Re: Headunits
MsBehavior Offline
Love you guys! Thanks!
#93605 - 07/18/07 08:52 PM Re: Headunits
ChiTownHitta90 Offline
Loc: Chicago, Illinois
this is what i got. it does ipod camra xm radio touchscreen xbox pretty much anything you want!!!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2f0fmMNqbec...2&display=L#Tab

hope you like..because i really do exspecial when its hooked up to 2 d9 12in diamond subs!!!!! hits harder then anything out!!
#93606 - 07/18/07 10:41 PM Re: Headunits
20gtp02 Offline
It probably won't hook up will Nagivation neither does mine and I got mine as a steal for twice that price.