Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#35577 - 09/28/07 07:44 AM Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
all bs Offline
Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hey everyone....
I swapped out my fried transmission over the past week or so and now I have erratic engine performance and electrical issues. For example occasionally the car will spit and sputter and act like it running on only half power. When I come to a stop sometimes it will idle down and stall. I have always been able to start it back up…. The RPM’s will fluctuate and the car will kick real badly. When this occurs typically I’ll get some electrical issues as well…. Not all at the same time but they vary from the heads up display changing the speed up to 100 and something then down to 0 and back up… The MPG computer will read all 0’s. The tachometer and speedometer will jump all over. The TSC light will come on. The rear windows won’t roll down.

With all this being said I drove to work this morning – 45 miles and I didn’t have a single issue??????

From what I’ve read I believe it to be an issue with the battery, ignition switch, or the alternator

How do you determine if the ignition switch is bad?

Thanks everyone for taking a look.
#35578 - 09/28/07 08:30 AM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
My guess would be the CPS
#35579 - 09/28/07 03:15 PM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
If the electrical problems weren't there before the trans swap, I'd go back and recheck all the electrical connections, grounds, etc. It's possible that trans might have some bad sensors as well. Good Luck! cheers
#35580 - 09/28/07 03:56 PM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I'd also check vacuum lines. You might have had a brittle one and moving the engine around getting the tranny out could have cracked one.
#35581 - 09/29/07 02:12 PM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
all bs Offline
Well I had the battery tested and it was toast. I switched that out and went back and had the alternator tested. It tested ok.... Right now the Traction contol light comes on and off and the heads up computer will flash all zeros then go back to normal... I'll check all the electrcial connections and check the vac lines. Thanks...
#35582 - 09/29/07 04:21 PM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
im still going to stick with the cps
#35583 - 10/01/07 07:08 AM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
all bs Offline
I couldn't find anything that was loose or hear any kinds of leaks... How else would you check fro vac leaks?

Well Yesterday I was driving along in my automobile and the dash lite up... The low oil light started blinking the coolant light came on the SES was blinking and the car was sputtering like it was going to die... I pulled over and checked for loose connections under the hood and all seemed ok. I restarted her and it was fine. It was fine all the way to work this morning too.

I guess I'll try changing out the CPS if you guys think that's what it might be. I need to rent a pully puller for that one right?
#35584 - 10/01/07 07:18 AM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
If everything on the cars goes in and out. And the heads up display goes to zeros, that mena its not getting power and it reseting. I would say its you igintion switch. If the CPS was shot then the car would just run like crap. Nothing in the car electrical wise would reset.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#35585 - 10/01/07 10:11 AM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Check your grounds that attach to the engine/tranny bolt? Something is killing power.
#35586 - 10/01/07 10:46 AM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
D Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Check your grounds that attach to the engine/tranny bolt? Something is killing power.
x2. If you changed your tranny and didn't put thoughs grounds on good enough. that woudl kill the car. Also that would kill the battery if the grounds are bad.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

www.nymcgp.com
#35587 - 10/01/07 12:20 PM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
all bs Offline
I connected one ground to the bolt on the tranny. I connected a bunch of stuff I think 3 wires to the starter and one by itself a purple wire..... Just drove it and went to pull out into traffic and it acted like it was misfiring. Would that be ingnition switch related? A few minutes went by and it was fine again....
#35588 - 10/01/07 12:23 PM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
There are two or three grounds that bolt to the tranny if I remember correctly. I'd double check all of your wiring at this point.

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#35589 - 10/02/07 06:45 AM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
all bs Offline
Well I went and had my check engine light scanned and it brought up 4 codes.

Two of the codes were related to 02 sensors bank one sensor 2.
One code said system running lean.
One code said multiple misfires.
So of course they wanted to sell me new plugs and wires. I didn't have a chance to check my grounds yet but I will tonight. This morning I went to start the car it it just went click click click click. I pulled the key out and did it again and it started right up..... One the way to work I didn't have any wierd electrical issues but it did misfire for a couple seconds here and there.....
#35590 - 10/02/07 07:14 PM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
D Offline
OK I would take a day out and knock out all you problrms. First do plugs and wires, and fuel filter, and Chekc your grounds. take the car for a drive and see whats up if youae getting still misfires change the coils, take the car for a drive again if the car does te click click again change your igintion switch. that should take care of everything. O and this si all depending on funds and time.

www.nymcgp.com
#35591 - 10/08/07 06:40 AM Re: Wierd Electrical Problems - Ignition Switch Testing? / Alternator?
all bs Offline
Well she has failed me. Left me stranded at work. All the lights come on the headlights come on the fan can even be turned on but it won't even click when I turn the key. I have never had a POS with this many problems - why I keep dumping cash into it nursing it back to health is beyond me. I guess its the ignition switch or heck who knows could be the starter or any other of a hundred things.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >