Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#495 - 02/03/08 12:56 AM ? about AC Delco plug wire part #'s
BlackGTjg Offline
Loc: Rochester, NY
Hey all,
this may seem like a pretty dumb question but as usual, I go to buy parts for my car and there are multiple part numbers that come up with no real explanation of what the differences are... here is my dilemma... i want to replace the plugs and wires on my car as I have personally put 60k on the car myself, 105k total on the car. I have zero clue if the wires have ever been changed but I'm willing to bet the plugs have been at least once. After reading a TON of stuff on both this board and clubgp.com, I have decided to go with AC Delco iridiums (41-101) and AC Delco plug wires BUT there are 2 part #s that come up for what fits my car and no idea what the difference is other than about 20 bucks. I am looking at rockauto.com to buy and they list AC Delco part 746BB ($43.79) and 9746BB ($26.79). Their ground shipping is only about $6 but basically looked everywhere and cannot find what the diff is between these nor what my car's original OEM part number is for the plug wires. The other thing is that advance autoparts sells the 746BB part for $71 but says at the top on their website that it's superceded by 9746BB.. sooo.... does that mean 746BB has been replaced by 9746BB?? If so, why would anyone still sell 746BB?? I seriously have never been more confused buying parts for any of my cars than I have been with this car. It seems like there are 2 part numbers for every part I need and I have to do weeks of research just to find out which part is the correct one! BTW, my car is a 2000 GP GT 3.8 NA. Any help is much appreciated. confused
#496 - 02/03/08 09:14 AM Re: ? about AC Delco plug wire part #'s
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
The ACDelco site is down, I looked there for info. Personally I used the 746BB on my car and my dad's, the high dollar wire craze is just hype. Do you have a local dealer you could go and look at these wires? They may have both or just the newer in stock? Worth a shot. For what it is worth, I went with the Iridium plugs also. I bought the slightly cheaper ACDelco platinum, but when I pulled out the 107K mile iridiums,I jumped on my bike and went and got some more. They looked awesome, and i plan on keeping this car until 200K. Have fun changing the back plugs. There is a secret that helps. Park car on slight hill so front of car is down hill, disconnect the top engine mounts, leave car in park, push on door frame, this rocks the motor forward, put on E-brake. I moved the engine 2-3" and that made it 200% easier.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#497 - 02/03/08 12:18 PM Re: ? about AC Delco plug wire part #'s
BlackGTjg Offline
Yeah I have read about that "secret" for getting to the back plugs and will most likely do that. Luckily, my own driveway has a slope to it so I won't need to be parking on some random street.. lol. However, any ideas on how to find out the OEM part number? I tried just taking a look at the wires on their now but they are pretty dirty and not really much surface area with printing on them to really make heads or tails.. unfortunately I don't have a local AC Delco dealer that has both parts and I really don't want to go to the dealership. I guess I go back to my original question of, what's the diff other than 20 bucks for the two part #'s? I am just wondering if it will make a huge difference based on the fact that I really don't plan on keeping this car too much longer (possibly selling this spring/summer) and I'm looking for ways to cut my costs down while tuning up and prepping for sale.
#498 - 02/03/08 05:13 PM Re: ? about AC Delco plug wire part #'s
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Just go with autolite plugs. And get the Plug wires from zzperformance.com for cheap
#499 - 02/03/08 11:14 PM Re: ? about AC Delco plug wire part #'s
BlackGTjg Offline
good lookin out ordonez... zzperformance has 'oem' plug wires for 34.99 however the price of their iridium plugs is way more than i wanted to spend. i plan on selling the car within 6 months and dont really need to put $50 just in plugs. rockauto.com has the best price for the plugs that I have seen.. delco iridiums for like 5.xx each and $6.xx for shipping. thanks for the heads up though, I would definitely trust the guys at zz to give me the right part!

:edit: crap i just found out that i can only buy the delco iridiums from rockauto in packs of 8 which brings me up to $50 after shipping.. dammit.. oh well, ill keep searchin around..
#500 - 02/03/08 11:15 PM Re: ? about AC Delco plug wire part #'s
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
get ngk for gts thats what i got
#501 - 02/03/08 11:23 PM Re: ? about AC Delco plug wire part #'s
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
If you plan on selling it soon, just get standard ACDelco plugs and Bosch wires from Autozone.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#502 - 02/04/08 12:10 AM Re: ? about AC Delco plug wire part #'s
BlackGTjg Offline
I just returned the set of bosch platinum plugs and bosch wires I bought from autozone b/c of all the negative comments I have read about the quality sucking and actually causing performance losses.. I'm not down with that.. plus the bosch wires were $34 plus tax.. if I can get the oems for the same price, I'd rather do that. As far as the plugs are concerned, I guess I can go with the platinums rather than iridiums.. the delco platinums are about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the iridiums and still a good plug for at least 50k to 75k miles. Thats more than enough. ordenz made a point about autolite plugs too, ill check the prices for them but I'd really rather stick to either delco or ngk b/c I will be driving the car myself for atleast the next 6 months, maybe more if I decide not to sell it.