Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134657 - 04/18/08 11:13 PM droppin some cash
Mr_GTPeanut Offline
Loc: Bardstown, KY
well the time has come when a few minor problems have added up to one big headache. Now im going all out and fixing it all. Heres what all I am replacing for starters:

-new zzp 304 2.5 DP with cat
-new wisper resonator
-new struts and mounts all the way around
-I am losing coolant, I think from LIM, so thats gettin yanked & replaced
-have a passenger side CV problem, so gettin new axles on both sides
-new plugs and wires

Any other items that I should look at replacing while im at it? I replaced all the other tune-up type things last year. Im not really looking to do much performance modding just trying to get it back in excellent running condition.

I still have that vibration and its drivin me nuts, maybe I can get it figured out without having all headaches that Tbat had. Im not too sure if I am going to tackle all of that myslef, or just take it to someone and let them do it all at once. Its a lot of work and I just dont have the time, or experience, to work on it to have it all running in a reasonble time.
Silver 2000 GTP Coupe, ZZP 3" dp with U Bend delete, ZZP Whisper resonator now resonator delete because that thing fell apart, K&N cone filter, 180 T-stat, drilled/slotted rotors, calipers painted blue and a little touch of blue under the hood
#134658 - 04/18/08 11:18 PM Re: droppin some cash
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
well, try and do the DP first. Thats real simple, just use lots of PB blaster. That should build your confindence up. Then maybe think about tackling some of the other stuff.

Maybe do a coolant flush and get the crappy dex-cool out of there
#134659 - 04/18/08 11:36 PM Re: droppin some cash
Mr_GTPeanut Offline
yeah, the DP I can handle myself, just not so sure about the other stuff. I would hate to get it all taken apart and not be able to get it all back together. I feel like I could probably do it, but when it comes to taking the suspension and axles apart, probably just dont get it for me.

I did a coolant flush and change at the end of summer last year. I put Prestone Dexcool back in it, should I have used something else? Oh yeah, thats another thing I need to work on. Since I did the coolant change, the coolant light comes on all the time now. Used to go off after driving for a couple of minutes, but now its staying on all the time, and fluid levels are ok. Guess sensor just needs to be cleaned?
Silver 2000 GTP Coupe, ZZP 3" dp with U Bend delete, ZZP Whisper resonator now resonator delete because that thing fell apart, K&N cone filter, 180 T-stat, drilled/slotted rotors, calipers painted blue and a little touch of blue under the hood
#134660 - 04/18/08 11:42 PM Re: droppin some cash
ordonez1307 Offline
Yeah, the sensor probably crapped out on you, or is just dirty.

I wouldnt have put dexcool back in, that stuff is the devil... my car is living (or not-so-living) proof.

The LIM isnt really hard to do, just a bunch of steps in the process.
#134661 - 04/18/08 11:46 PM Re: droppin some cash
'01 GT Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
if you shouldnt put dexcool back in then what should you put in?

Current:
2004 Dale Jr Monte SS

Old:
01 3.2 intercooled GT RIP
#134662 - 04/18/08 11:57 PM Re: droppin some cash
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
flush the system and use ordinary green stuff

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#134663 - 04/30/08 08:41 PM Re: droppin some cash
Mr_GTPeanut Offline
Well, bit the bullet and bought the Helm manuals tonight, should be here sometime next week. I am ordering some of the parts tonight and sit on them until I have everything.

Just one more question tho. I am replacing the axles, but not sure which way to go with them. ZZP ovvers two different ones and I dont really know which I should get. they have the stage 1 and stage 2. Stage 1 are recommended for cars under 300hp, which I dont believe I will ever be going over. Stage 2 appear to be a stronger axle for those who like to hit the track, which I have no intention of doing.

My question is, I seem to fall in the stage 1 axles, but would it be a wise idea to go ahead and drop the extra cash on the stronger stage 2 even tho I dont plan on building this car to run?
#134664 - 04/30/08 08:42 PM Re: droppin some cash
ordonez1307 Offline
If youre not going to do any of that, why bother? Save the money and buy something else
#134665 - 04/30/08 08:46 PM Re: droppin some cash
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
I would save your cash and stick with Stage 1. Get HD sway bars ,STB or shift kit with the saved cash.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#134666 - 04/30/08 08:52 PM Re: droppin some cash
gteisele Offline
Loc: New Jersey
dont flush!!!!......just drain and fill or you will risk serious damage loosening old debris
(99 GT),K&N 9" intake,ZZP HV TB(68mm), ZZP PCM,ZZP front powerlog, HV3 intake manifold spacer, 3" DP to SLP exhaust,Comp Cam 801 and springs, MSD ignition,Voltage Booster,black housing headlights with HID kit and halos
#134667 - 05/01/08 02:04 AM Re: droppin some cash
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by gteisele:
dont flush!!!!......just drain and fill or you will risk serious damage loosening old debris
They're talking about coolant, not trans fluid. It's fine to do a coolant flush.