Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47860 - 04/30/08 05:58 PM I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
recovering_patrick Offline
Loc: Bloomington, IL
Okay, so I've got a couple problems. First being that when I take off from a dead start, when I put my foot into the gas pretty hard, the car jerks about 3-4 times. I thought it would have been my spark plugs/wires, but that only cured the erratic shifting I'd experience. Any idea what could be causing this issue?

Also, my ABS light and my TRAC OFF light came on the other day while I was driving home from work. It hasn't been on since, but what would cause that? Is it time to replace my wheel hubs/ABS Sensors?

Today, my ignition started sticking. It happened right after I changed my plugs/plug wires.. it took about 15 minutes of messing with it until it gave up and let me turn the key. Did it again when I was leaving to go to town, and it made me feel like I was trying to steal my own car when I was trying to leave Wal-Mart.. I think it's got to have something to do with the aftermarket ignition that's in it.. but I don't know what to look for. I took the casing off, and there's a bunch of wires, but not so many mechanical parts showing.. has this happened to anyone else?

Finally, there's some goo on the underside of my car.. not sure where it came from, but I noticed it soon after I got my engine put in, and noticed my oil leak (which I think I've figured out that it's leaking right out of the drain plug.. bought that)... Here are some pictures of the gunk..

Thanks for any and all help you guys can give me..
#47861 - 04/30/08 06:08 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Check your cv boot.
#47862 - 04/30/08 06:29 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
That's what I thought, but there weren't any tears in it... any idea about my other issues?
#47863 - 04/30/08 07:37 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Wheel hub would cause your ABS and TRAC lights to come on.

What kind of "aftermarket" ignition is in it?

And it looks like you drove through dog crap.
#47864 - 04/30/08 07:52 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
How worn is your key? I know worn out keys can give that symptom. As for the stalling, I know this may sound weird, but I have seen 2 other vehicles have this type issue fixed by running FI cleaner for two consecutive tanks. I recommend Chevron's with Techron or BG 44K. GM recommends the Techron which can be bought at any parts store.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#47865 - 04/30/08 07:55 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
Are you being funny with the dog crap comment, or do you think it might really be just the remains of something I drove thru?

I think 'aftermarket' was the wrong term to use.. what I meant is that it's not original. If it was, I'd have the electronic keys or whatever that you can't get cut at Wal-Mart, I believe.

I just got the key cut about a month ago, so I don't think that's it... I tried my spares and still nothing.

I always fill up with Chevron gas, and about a week ago I filled up and put a can of Seafoam down in the tank.. since i'd never cleaned the fuel injectors on this engine. Maybe I should toss a thing of Techron in there next fill up?

I changed my spark plugs/wires because I thought that was the cause of it and the hard shifting I'd experience after the engine got warmed up.. I drove 100 miles today, and no erratic shifting.. so I feel that was the cause of that problem, at least.
#47866 - 04/30/08 08:25 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
seafoam is junk, change your fuel filter, and did you get your keys from the dealer? they have little magnets or something in them that makes them specal, and it was a funny comment about dog poop, it looks like a cv boot broke open, i might not be a big hole or a rip just something small enough to let the grese out or does it smell like grese?
#47867 - 04/30/08 08:45 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
4drgt Offline
taken from tripple edge performance about your tranny/ shuttering issue

Neutrals at stops, Shudders on take off: One of the most common problems I have found after the milege gets over roughly 60K miles. The scenario.... You are driving in traffic for a while OR your car has sat for a while and is a cold startup. You put the car in Drive range and it wont move, or if driving you come up to a stop light and in heavy traffic and the light turns green and SUPRISE!!! You are holding up traffic with a car that wont go anywhere. The most common cause of this problem is a worn out inner surface of the Input clutch piston. I will post pics soon so you can better understand why it IS a real problem. Once the inner sealing area wears it can prevent the inner lip seal for the piston from sealing properly. You may find that revving th engine up will finally get the car to move and it will BANG into gear. This is because the pump in the transmission is working harder and moving more fluid thus allowing the added fluid to overcome the leak which prevented the clutch from either initially applying or staying applied. Another area of concern that causes this is a boost valve in the valve body, not near as common but it can cause this problem on a lessor scale. If a fluid/filter service has not been performed in a very long time then a very dirty or plugged up filter can add to problems as it because a major restriction. IF the filter is found to be very dirty on the inside, which can be verified by cutting open the filter, then there are other problems inside the transmission anyways and an overhaul is the only correct way to fix the problem.
#47868 - 04/30/08 08:59 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Quote:
Originally posted by 4drgt:
seafoam is junk
Not.
#47869 - 04/30/08 09:02 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
I've always liked the Seafoam, but maybe I should try something else. I did not get the keys from the dealer, no.. but the keys that came with the car when I bought it were not the magnetic kind that it should have come with.. they were just regular keys, as if they were for a car 20 years old.

I'm not sure though if that excerpt you posted resembles my problem exactly.. when I take off, I go.. it just shakes a little bit. And if I'm reading that right, it's saying that if that was my problem then my tranny fluid would be dirty, and the filter would be dirty.. I just did a tranny fluid/filter change, and both looked almost like new..

I suppose it does smell like grease mainly.. I just didn't think it came from the CV Joint because it looked like it was all together still.. is that an urgent repair? It kind of sucks.. I'm stuck driving my girlfriends little hyundai to work tomorrow because mine won't turn on when I want it to. I really appreciate all of your help, though.
#47870 - 04/30/08 09:02 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
4drgt Offline
i have heard nothen but problems from it
#47871 - 04/30/08 09:05 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
Hey, I see you're from Iowa.. where about? I grew up in Perry.
#47872 - 04/30/08 09:08 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
4drgt Offline
really im from carroll pretty close
#47873 - 04/30/08 09:17 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
Yeah, that is kinda close.
#47874 - 04/30/08 09:18 PM Re: I've got a couple of problems.. a little help please?
4drgt Offline
about 30-45min i think
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >