Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4689 - 05/30/08 07:05 PM Ok so my car broke down
exnerz Offline
Loc: Rockford
So i start up my car to head home from work, and i notice the service engine soon light comes on. On the way home, the car dies.

I was traveling down the road around 45-50 mph, and notice i have no power. No power steering, and no throttle. after wrestling it off of the main street in rush hour traffic, all other warning lights are on, including the battery, and oil light.

I shut the car off, let it sit for a few, then start it back up. It starts, only to die in short order.

Now a buddy of mine had a problem similar to this in his old fiero, and the problem ended up just being a fuel filter.

Also, recently i have noticed quite alot of heat coming from the dash/footwells while the car is runnning. I thought that was strange, but engine/oil temps are fine.

Any ideas? Luckily i was able to get it off into a parking lot. Unfortunately, pretty much all repair shops in my area close at 5, and arent open on weekends, so getting hold of a mechanic is proving difficult, and the 1s i do know, i dont trust their work.

Thanks and sorry for the longish post
#4690 - 05/30/08 07:40 PM Re: Ok so my car broke down
20gtp02 Offline
Autoparts stores are open till 9 or so on friday nights. Get the code scanned.
If you are feeling heat, your cat could or was clogging up.

You can narrow it down by getting those codes scanned.
Autozone, AdvanceAutoParts
You can get a print out of the codes and what they are, buddy did it at Advance last week.

#4691 - 05/30/08 07:41 PM Re: Ok so my car broke down
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
Fuel filter, fuel pump, or fuel pump resistor.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#4692 - 05/30/08 07:48 PM Re: Ok so my car broke down
exnerz Offline
I think your right about the CAT gtp. After talking it over with a buddy thats what we came up with too, that or something in the fuel system. But the heat problem also ties into the cat so i would think it was that.

And about getting the codes scanned, is that just them running the diagnostics on my car?
#4693 - 05/30/08 07:52 PM Re: Ok so my car broke down
StreetShaker Offline
Loc: Tyrone, Central PA
Quote:
Originally posted by exnerz:
I think your right about the CAT gtp. After talking it over with a buddy thats what we came up with too, that or something in the fuel system. But the heat problem also ties into the cat so i would think it was that.

And about getting the codes scanned, is that just them running the diagnostics on my car?
they hook a scan tool up to it and get the codes then give you a printout of what it is and what it would take to fix it

I used to do it all the time until I bought my own code scanner, and since I bought my scanner I havent had any problems, oddly enough (knock on wood hammer )

"Mr. Mom"
#4694 - 05/30/08 07:58 PM Re: Ok so my car broke down
exnerz Offline
[/qb][/QUOTE]they hook a scan tool up to it and get the codes then give you a printout of what it is and what it would take to fix it

I used to do it all the time until I bought my own code scanner, and since I bought my scanner I havent had any problems, oddly enough (knock on wood hammer ) [/QB][/QUOTE]

Ok thanks a bunch. now just getting my car to the store.....