Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94298 - 06/01/08 12:28 AM Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
00 GT - Night Train Offline
Loc: Augusta , Ga
I have 00 GrandPrix GP its dull on bumpers i wanted to know if i can bring back the black shine w/o spending money alot of money

Also how can i get more light from my headlights
the passengers headlight is new.
don't want to spend too much

#94299 - 06/01/08 12:30 AM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
StreetShaker Offline
Loc: Tyrone, Central PA
After all the pics loaded finally I would say you need a re-paint, that is bad news, have you ever waxed your car?

"Mr. Mom"
#94300 - 06/01/08 12:35 AM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
no i have not
was told by the guy he can paint bumpers and buff for $200
#94301 - 06/01/08 12:39 AM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
StreetShaker Offline
Loc: Tyrone, Central PA
Quote:
Originally posted by 00 GT - Night Train:
no i have not
was told by the guy he can paint bumpers and buff for $200
check out some of his other work and go for it, but get him to paint just the bumpers, then buff the whole entire car and then go buck wild with some good wax, i use Turtle Wax cleaner wax and it works well for only bring 5 bux a bottle, and get some new headlights man eeeeek hammer

"Mr. Mom"
#94302 - 06/01/08 09:43 AM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
It is obvious the previous owner did not park in a garage and or polish this car. I will step out on a limb and tel you if you don't get working on the paint, it will soon be the same. Since you have a dark color car you will need to wash, dry and polish a certain way to keep it looking good. Trust me, I have black cars with no swirl marks.

1. Always use lots of car wash soap and a quality wash mitt. A bucket with a raised grate floor works great to help dirt come off and stay off mitt.

2. When washing and drying use front to back strokes. This way, any hair line scratches or marks you may put in the paint, will blend into the lines of the car.

3. When polishing, do like I said above. No wax on wax off, in circles like the Karate Kid. LOL And again, there is no need to press hard, light action works fine and will avoid marking the paint. The new Dupont Teflon polish got great marks from Consumer Reports, as well as did Meguiar's Gold Class (I use this). I prefer liquid polish to pastes.

4. Always wash, dry and polish out of the sun, when the paint is cool. And use 100% cotton towels made in USA (found at Target) or micro fiber towels.

Any other questions PM me. Check out my cars here. The shines speak for themselves.

http://picasaweb.google.com/72chevman/CarStuff
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#94303 - 06/01/08 09:49 AM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
yes you will have to repaint
#94304 - 06/01/08 11:24 AM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
20gtp02 Offline
It definitely needs a wash from the pics. And those bumpers are toast. I say that car needs some attention, and soon. With a nice detail you can get the car to shine I think, but those bumpers need paint.

#94305 - 06/01/08 12:39 PM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
notladstyle Offline
Loc: Tampa FL
Sometimes the clearcoat yellows from oxidation, in which case a thorough waxing and buffing will restore the shine...

But it looks like your clear coat has had it, as in it has eroded to a point that the base coat is exposed to oxygen. Once the base coat starts fading, there's not much you can do to bring it back.
#94306 - 06/01/08 08:47 PM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
claybar it while youre at it.
#94307 - 06/01/08 08:52 PM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
Either you live Florida (car plate) or Georgia. I used lived Arizona for 5 years. I have seen lot of cars paint fade because of sunny. That's suck frown Look like this car spend lot of time outside for longest sunny season that cause paint fade. My car spend lot of time outside so I wash and wax to keep it neat so my paint won't fade.
#94308 - 06/01/08 10:07 PM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Yeah just get the bumpers repainted and get that guy to buff the whole car and the shine will come back. Its obvious the previous owner did not wax that car, looks like alot of rock chips through out the car. Good luck with everything.
#94309 - 06/01/08 11:34 PM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
Thanks guys for all ur input i will get the money together and get on it soon.

Do anyone have suggestion for the headlights
#94310 - 06/01/08 11:39 PM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
eww you definatly need to replace that driverside headlight. not much you can do to clear it up but scrub it with toothpaste, but that wont do alot, you pretty much need a new headlight.
#94311 - 06/01/08 11:40 PM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
go to ebay for headlights
#94312 - 06/02/08 10:54 PM Re: Wanting too restore color Need help!!!!!!!!! Please
northtnguy Offline
Loc: Nashville, TN
You're going to have to spend some time on your car to get the paint back to what it needs to be. The bumpers are definately going to need painting, but I think you can save the paint as long as you don't have any clear coat failure (like what's on the bumpers). Meguiar\'s Online Forum would be a good place to start. A lot of information can be found there. Most of those swirl marks can be taken care of by hand, but it's going to be a lot of work. A good dual action polisher would help a lot and save your arm. It just depends on how serious you are with detailing your car.

This is the result you can get with washing, claying, POLISHING and waxing your car.

All of the Meguiar's products can be mind blowing, but after visiting the site and studying it for a bit, you'll find what you need to do to get great results.

Don