Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52190 - 06/02/08 01:23 AM Replaced my wheel bearings! writeup & pics inside
notladstyle Offline
Loc: Tampa FL
So my front driver & passenger wheel bearings both had about a 5mm of play in them. I checked with the dealership and the ABS bearing and hub assemblies were $386 each!!! Advance Auto Parts has them for $180 each so I grabbed a set and rather than throwing down another $200 on labor to have them installed, I thought I would take a stab at it myself.

Turns out it isn't very hard at all - I'm not very experienced at mechanical maintenance and I was able to swap them out in 2.5 hours.

Take a look at my writeup and let me know if theres anything I should have done differently...

http://notladstyle.blogspot.com/2008/06/replace-wheel-bearings-in-2003-pontiac.html
#52191 - 06/02/08 01:33 AM Re: Replaced my wheel bearings! writeup & pics inside
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Thats a nice write up. How long did it take you to do one wheel bearing. I need a bearing because mine is making some noise but I can't tell where its coming from.(it sound like its from the rear driver side but Im not sure since its so loud)
#52192 - 06/02/08 01:47 AM Re: Replaced my wheel bearings! writeup & pics inside
notladstyle Offline
The first one too about an hour and a half because I was feeling my way through it and trying to take pics, the second one took an hour.

The noise might be a wheel out of balance or an alignment issue(misaligned wheels will make excessive noise and wear quickly)

I'm going to get two new tires and a computerized alignment tomorrow.
#52193 - 06/02/08 02:08 AM Re: Replaced my wheel bearings! writeup & pics inside
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
Hubs are like $80 a piece from ZZP...

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#52194 - 06/02/08 05:39 AM Re: Replaced my wheel bearings! writeup & pics inside
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
#52195 - 06/02/08 10:58 AM Re: Replaced my wheel bearings! writeup & pics inside
notladstyle Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by lonezergling:
Hubs are like $80 a piece from ZZP...
Lifetime warranty and no waiting for shipping was worth the trip to the store.

ZZP doesnt take returns on used parts and its hard as hell to get manufacturer swap outs in any timely fashion. Discount auto parts will look at it once, and give you a new one on the spot.
#52196 - 06/02/08 05:48 PM Re: Replaced my wheel bearings! writeup & pics inside
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Before doing a write up search ,as Herc said he already has a writup for the hubs,as far as faults with new hubs there seldom is a problem with the bearing it's usually the wheel speed sensor that's faulty ,my self if they throw a code after changing them put I'm not that concerned with changing them again as long as the bearing is quiet and tight your good to goIMHO ,as far as ABS and trac cont.they are useless living in TX.Chico(pops)
#52197 - 06/02/08 08:28 PM Re: Replaced my wheel bearings! writeup & pics inside
notladstyle Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
Before doing a write up search ,as Herc said he already has a writup for the hubs,as far as faults with new hubs there seldom is a problem with the bearing it's usually the wheel speed sensor that's faulty ,my self if they throw a code after changing them put I'm not that concerned with changing them again as long as the bearing is quiet and tight your good to goIMHO ,as far as ABS and trac cont.they are useless living in TX.Chico(pops)
last time I checked, there were no laws against making duplicate writeups. If there are, feel free to report me to the duplicate write-up police.

I posted a writeup to see if anyone had any tips to make the job easier or noticed anything I might have did wrong, whether there are other writups on the web has no bearing and the internet is designed to be redundant, you never know when a website might disappear.

I live in florida where the drivers are idiots and rainstorms jump from nothing and disapear just as fast. So ABS and TCS can mean the difference between a 8car pileup on I-4 and a 7car pileup that you drive around.
#52198 - 06/02/08 08:50 PM Re: Replaced my wheel bearings! writeup & pics inside
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
No one is knockin ya for doing a write up. Just pointing out there's other stuff out-there. Yours did make the procedure out to easier then it is for those in the rust belt. They don't always just slide out.
#52199 - 06/02/08 10:12 PM Re: Replaced my wheel bearings! writeup & pics inside
Chico Offline
The reson I pointed out your duplicate write up is that a search may have made your job easier,and as far as the ABS& trac control again I was pointing out the failing point of replacements of coarse if you find them necessary by all means go for the WB that offer the best replacement warrenty,no need to be sarcastic or get offended.Chico(pops)
#52200 - 06/02/08 11:00 PM Re: Replaced my wheel bearings! writeup & pics inside
notladstyle Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
The reson I pointed out your duplicate write up is that a search may have made your job easier,and as far as the ABS& trac control again I was pointing out the failing point of replacements of coarse if you find them necessary by all means go for the WB that offer the best replacement warrenty,no need to be sarcastic or get offended.Chico(pops)
sorry, I should have mentioned I used this write up:
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/GM-Wheel-Bearing-Hub-Assembly-Replacement/index.html

I made my own writeup so that 1) I could contribute something useful to the internet, and 2) to make what I did known, and if I missed someone glaringly obvious, GP veterans like yourself could point it out to me before I kill myself.

Plus, I was really proud of doing it myself - I'm an IT geek - to get out and get my hands dirty is something out of the ordinary for me laugh
#52201 - 06/02/08 11:57 PM Re: Replaced my wheel bearings! writeup & pics inside
Chico Offline
OK in that case GOOD JOB.Chico(pops)
#52202 - 06/03/08 12:45 AM Re: Replaced my wheel bearings! writeup & pics inside
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I like your writeup and your page. thumbsup