Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1634 - 11/14/08 10:20 AM 1999 3.1L Grand Prix, tire has movement
Big Tom Offline
Loc: Canada
I'm playing the middle man here trying to find information for my in-laws vehicle, here is the problem they described to me

There is quite a bit of play in the steering, tie rod ends all look good but the connection to the power steering box has play. What happened was they jacked up the car and noticed they could wiggle the tire back/forth a bit, like a busted tie rod end, but they aren't busted, so they think the problem is between the tie rod and the power steering box? It happens with both front tires.

What could be causing this problem? How do you fix it or adjust it?
#1635 - 11/14/08 10:58 AM Re: 1999 3.1L Grand Prix, tire has movement
Richard Candelario Offline
does it make a roaring sound? If so, hubs might be bad. How many miles? Have the hubs been replaced yet?

Check the ball joints. I doubt this could be the culprit, but never know.

Are the lugs and lug nuts in good shape? have they ever been tightened/torqued by air tools? Could be fatigued, stripped, cross-threaded, or inadequately torqued.

Tie rods, of course.

I'll let the others chime in here about sways being broken/snapped/worn.

Otherwise, welcome to the site! Enjoy your stay. You found a good group of folks that have and will dispense invaluable information almost as soon as you post. As often as you can, post pics. We LOVE pics here.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC