Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119105 - 10/22/09 06:30 PM I'm still getting a vibration.
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Well long time ago I posted a topic on where my vibration is and majority said it was my tie end rods from how I described it. I also heard that it could be the cv boots, I had those inspected and I was told that they was fine, no holes or punctures were in the boots but as of 1 month ago I do see green/brown grease on front passenger side frame. I get this vibration when Im driving on the highway and some times I get on when I'm going 30-40 mph on residential areas. The vibration seems to get real strong when I hit the gas real hard and it seems like its coming from the passenger side too but I'm not to sure since the whole car vibrates crazy.

Im thinking maybe its the cv boots, wheels bearing(im still on factory wheel bearings with 203,000 miles on the car), and motor mounts.

What could it be?

List of things I had done.

All front tie end rods replaced.
New tires.
Wheels was balanced.
I had alignment done when I had the tie end rods replaced like almost 2 months ago.
#119106 - 10/23/09 12:18 AM Re: I'm still getting a vibration.
MAC GTP Offline
Loc: Willow Grove,PA
wheel bearings

i have the same problem here. slight vibration in the front right tire and a humming sound. i replaced all those things recently and its still there. a local shop told me its the wheel bearing starting to go. depending how harsh the vibration is is how far its gone according to them.

im going to get a second opinion tho on it at another shop.
#119107 - 10/24/09 03:45 PM Re: I'm still getting a vibration.
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Well it would be a good time to replace wheel bearings ,I'm amazed you have got over 200k on the original they usually fail around 100k another cause of your vibration could be lower motor mount .Chico(pops)
#119108 - 10/24/09 04:05 PM Re: I'm still getting a vibration.
jlindahl2571 Offline
Loc: Massachusetts
Go to an open parking lot. Drive about 15 miles an hour and just take short turns like you're doing a slalom course. If you only hear the noise when you turn one way its most likely the wheel bearings.

So, if you hear it when you turn left, its the right bearing and obviously vice versa.

At this point I would just replace them both if they're at like 200k anyways.
#119109 - 10/26/09 01:36 PM Re: I'm still getting a vibration.
Dre da GP man Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
Well it would be a good time to replace wheel bearings ,I'm amazed you have got over 200k on the original they usually fail around 100k another cause of your vibration could be lower motor mount .Chico(pops)
I really think this is my problem(lower motor mount)because when I sit still like at a light or in park, I can hear something knocking like, sounds like something is loose but its not and its coming from the right front side. Im going to get the mounts look at wednesday and I will give a update.
#119110 - 10/26/09 04:46 PM Re: I'm still getting a vibration.
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
lol my first wheel bearing was at 75k
#119111 - 10/29/09 02:02 PM Re: I'm still getting a vibration.
bigjoe Offline
Loc: chi town
i had a similar problem, but my vibration would only come on acceleration, and i had allready replaced my tie rods. soooo, i got a suggestion from the guys on clubgp, they said to replace my LF half shaft, so i did it, and lo and behold, NO MORE VIBRATION!!!! funny thing is when i took the end out with the bearings, 1 of them wasnt riding on ANY rollers at all!!!
#119112 - 10/29/09 02:42 PM Re: I'm still getting a vibration.
Dre da GP man Offline
Ok big joe I will look into that. What is exactly an half shaft.