Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#215584 - 09/01/11 07:13 PM In car crank swap
dafly Offline
I have a 2002 GP GTP that may need the crank replaced. I think I either spun my bearings or worse yet, cracked one of the cylinder walls. I drove the car too far being hot due to a coolant leak and made the mistake of getting on the expressway. I monitored the gauges but apparently the engine didn't want to hold up for me.
Basically the idiot light came on and it sounded like it spun a bearing a few seconds later before I had time to get off the side of the road.
I allowed it to cool off and the noise went away but kept coming back once it got hot enough and I gave it enough gas. It sounded as if something in the engine was spinning. Well I was very close to home when finally it started making noise without really giving it any gas and ended up locking up on me. Before it did this I did notice the engine was shaking pretty bad. But when it cooled off it ran smooth. Thats what scares me about the block.
Anyways after it locked up and called the wrecker for the last 10 miles of my nearly 200 mile journey, It started up while waiting for him. I had them tow it anyways and it ran fine at my parents. And if I recall was running smooth again.
Well I picked up a new compression gauge as my old one was basically stolen, a harmonic balancer kit, gaskets, crank kit and some other supply's. I figured if its a bearing, it probably damaged the crank. And for under $200 (for the crank kit), I figured that was pretty cheap for what I expected.
I've rebuilt an engine before. But it was years ago. But I'm pretty confident in doing this, just not looking forward to it. Yes I had the proper trainings. Its just been a long time.
Anyways, what is everyone thoughts on the problem as far as if its a spun rod or main bearing. If so, the crank needing replaced as a result. What about the possibility of the cylinder being cracked. Are the engines able to be re-sleeved, which I doubt? And the most important thing, is it possible to replace the crank in the car on the Grand Prix? Also, are the pistons able to be replaced from the lower end on these engines, or do the have to come out from the top in case I need to replace a rod or piston. I know some engines you can do this with and some you cant.
#215585 - 09/01/11 07:22 PM Re: In car crank swap [Re: dafly]
Richard Candelario Offline
Yeah, you can re-sleeve these mills. They're cast iron and they have some pretty meaty wall thickness. How far can you punch it? Not sure, but you got some real estate in there, that's for sure.

You CAN...there's nothing stopping you...but I sure wouldn't. That'd be a PAIN to do in-car.

Iirc, you pull from the bottom, but I haven't tried it yet.

Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy your stay. If you're planning on stickin around, know that we're a bunch of pic whores. Also, where are you writing in from? I understand if you don't want to tell us specifics, or at all. If anything, what part of what state? If anyone's interested, they can PM you. Again, welcome to the site.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#215588 - 09/01/11 08:36 PM Re: In car crank swap [Re: dafly]
dafly Offline
Im in Indiana, but from Michigan. My GTP is sitting at my parents in Michigan. I was actually on the way to purchase the car I am driving now and to drop off the GTP to fix the coolant leak. My boss didn't want me to take the weekend off (which I was supposed to be off anyways) and I really didn't have much work the day it happened, so I ended up taking a half day. So I was under a timeline to get to Michigan to get everything taken care of which is normally a 3 hour drive alone.
Yea, I took a very foolish chance because of the pressures I was under. I just couldn't get the air to bleed out with the coolant leak, and all was fine and dandy until I got on the expressway. Its amazing what a few extra mph can do.
I usually don't make foolish mistakes like this. And I knew I should have just stayed off the expressway, but figured I was close enough between exits where I was at, but I was apparently wrong. And I didn't want to inconvenience my parents by having them come all the way out to get me to get the car. I was also fighting a deadline on with the loan as we were waiting for my parents loan company to release the title (they were pricks about it) and I had a certain amount of days to provide my loan company with the title.
So being I actually have a weekend off plus an extra day, I am wanting to get the car back on the road in proper running condition to sell it. Kind of shot myself in the foot as I was going to get the bumper covers replaced instead of tearing apart an engine. What a way to spend my holiday weekend that I dreadfully need.
I did consider pulling the engine, I'm not sure if the engine stand I have is strong enough for it or even if I have all the parts for it as its stashed at my parents. But I was looking through the Alldatadiy info and it looks like I will have my hand full this weekend either way I go. For some reason I hate pulling engines.
They do show doing the rod bearings from in the car. But even just pulling the pan requires a separating the steering components and an alignment. But pulling it, I don't have to do that. but is alot more time consuming, along with renting the equipment I will need. That's another issue for me as well right now being out of town to work on it.
I was really hoping the Alldata would tell me a little more of what I will be looking forward to at replacing the crank so I could figure out which is the better way to go here for me. Plus I know if I pull the engine, Im really going to want to work on it. I'll end up pulling the heads and replacing all the gaskets, and then rebuilding the heads, and then doing the pistons, rods, and so forth and by the time I'm done with a completely rebuilt engine and wont be able to enjoy it and dumped allot of money into it.
#215589 - 09/01/11 08:39 PM Re: In car crank swap [Re: dafly]
dafly Offline
Oh ya, I cant remember exactly how much I could punch it before getting the noise. Id say giving it enough gas to get a a little bit of a load on the engine. Maybe about 3/4 a pedal, if I were to guess.
#215596 - 09/01/11 10:28 PM Re: In car crank swap [Re: dafly]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
To replace the crank your going to have to seperate the trans from the motor. Your best off pulling the motor.

Most cast iron blocks you can safely bore .030 over.
#215597 - 09/02/11 01:28 PM Re: In car crank swap [Re: dafly]
dafly Offline
Well, I know they can be bored over. But I am concerned of a cylinder being potentially cracked. But I was reading that if anything it would be open while closed and close up once its hot. So I think I am safe their. I was wondering if they can be-resleeved.
I think Im going to end up pulling the engine after all. I should be able to make a a frame our of two by fours and a come-a-long that I can use to pull the engine.
#215598 - 09/02/11 11:01 PM Re: In car crank swap [Re: dafly]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Or you can jack the car up and drop the cradle.
#215599 - 09/02/11 11:02 PM Re: In car crank swap [Re: dafly]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
If the block has cracks no matter where your best off scrapping and and getting a good block.
#215600 - 09/03/11 07:10 AM Re: In car crank swap [Re: dafly]
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Buy a new motor and swap them. It will be cheaper, easier and more reliable.