Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131696 - 04/12/08 03:18 PM LIM and UIM gasket change
BlackGTjg Offline
Loc: Rochester, NY
Hey all, I'm new to the board and yes I did a search and found some useful info on the LIM and UIM gaskets, however I am wondering if anyone has a write up on everything I need and how to do it as I am a newbie to working on this car. I consider myself to be a pretty decent backyard mechanic when it comes to heavily modding imports and also basic maintenance items on all cars but I have never attempted digging into a domestic before and need some help. The repair shop wants $800 to do it but I just cannot justify that knowing I have the skills to do it myself with a little help.

I have already purchased a UIM gasket kit from the ebay seller that one of the other board members linked to a few months back. Should be arriving Tuesday. I do not plan on keeping this car much longer than maybe another year so I am really not looking to get the best parts available, just what I need to get it running well enough to last until after I trade it in. Would the LIM kit from autozone be the way to go for this? Its a 2000 GP GT, 3.8 na, 105K on the motor. I would like to flush the coolant system and do plugs and wires since I'll be in there. What else is recommended that I should change while I'm in there? I read about coolant elbows in one thread and T stat. I did just replace my T stat about a year ago, should I change it again? What is recommended for these cars for plugs, wires, and coolant? Do I have to use dexcool? If so, where can I get it the cheapest? Whats the best way to flush a dexcool system b/c that stuff is like sludge! Also, do I need to get new bolts for the LIM and UIM and if so, where is the cheapest place to get them. Also would need to know torque specs and tightening order.

I know this is a common thing on these cars so I hope I get some replies on this post. Trust me, I am no newbie to message forums and I know how to use the "search" function. I did that already and couldn't really come up with all the info I needed and if we can get it all in one thread, may be a good thing for the next guy who needs help. Please let me know as I would really like to start tackling this next weekend. Thanks for any and all help!

James

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted
LIM and UIM gasket change BlackGTjg 04/12/08 03:18 PM
Re: LIM and UIM gasket change Blackarrow98GP 04/12/08 03:44 PM
Re: LIM and UIM gasket change BlackGTjg 04/13/08 09:17 AM