Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150078 - 06/11/02 05:09 PM Regal is nicer than GP IMO
Redshift Offline
Loc: Raleigh, NC
On a recent vacation, I had L36 versions of a Regal (LS) and GP (SE 3.8L) to drive. The Regal was probably a bit newer, with 9K miles on it versus the 24K the GP had, but overall I really liked the Buick much better. Nicer interior, nicer seats, and for some reason it seemed it had quite a bit more power and braking capabilities than the GP. The Buick had the "Gran Touring" suspension but it still handled the twisties of one of the curviest roads probably anywhere in the country very well. It also handled offroad duty (there was a sign that said "4WD ONLY" - this wasn't just driving in dirt) very well.

I think I might try to find a used Regal GS as a nice 3rd car for our household.

No offense to the GP owners. Hell, I owned a GP from '97 through '00. It was an awesome car. I just like the interior of the Buick better, and it seems more well-built than the GP.

Both cars are awesome and we all enjoy them both.

savewave
#150079 - 06/11/02 05:20 PM Re: Regal is nicer than GP IMO
Chew Offline
Loc: Washington, DC
I would have to agree that the Regals have nicer interiors. But then again they do cost more than similar GPs, don't they?

The GP SE prolly has the worst suspension of the GP brood - while the Regal LS (which I believe is the middle of the line model) is probably pretty well tuned.

I've only driven a regal once - and that was the Thrasher regal waaaay back when we had the first WDCCGP pulley day - but I don't recall a noticeable difference.

If it weren't for the heads up display I would certainly consider a Regal instead of a 4 door GP for my next car (well, GForce hopefully).

savewave

Chew

2007 Sly Silver Pontiac Solstice GXP
#150080 - 12/21/03 06:50 AM Re: Regal is nicer than GP IMO
Paul Offline
Loc: Island Co. WA, USA
Well, I just test drove an '01 GTP with 28K and every option and a '97 GS with 39K and most options (no spoiler, Bose system or moon roof) and the power seems the same, but the GS feels more, um, uh, Buick-like... you know, softer suspension. The GS had less road noise than the GTP, but that seemed to be because you don't hear the exhaust note as much on the Buick. My personal preference goes to the GTP in the looks dept, both inside and out. It just looks sportier. I think the GS, especially equipped without the spoiler, makes for a great sleeper. Besides, who needs rear deck spoliers/wings on front wheel drives anyway? More downforce on the rear wheels is the LAST thing you'd want.

That's my nickel's worth, anyway.
(inflation, you know)

PS - that said, I ended up buying the GS because my wife liked it better and it was a lot cheaper than the GTP due to it's age.
#150081 - 12/21/03 07:05 PM Re: Regal is nicer than GP IMO
kwiksilver Offline
Loc: Annapolis, MD
I think the interiors are better in the regal only. Problem I had was it seemed like there was not as much room inside. Especially in the back. I actually felt a little cramped in there.

96 Ebony Satin nitrous powered SHO
(sold)
#150082 - 12/22/03 06:02 PM Re: Regal is nicer than GP IMO
Paul Offline
Loc: Island Co. WA, USA
Hmmm... must be a perception thing. I thought the Buick was roomier. The numbers I've seen from the spec sheets seems to show very little actual differences. Most are within 1/2" of each other if they are different at all. The Regal does offer more headroom by 1.1" - but it has a 1.9" overall height difference.
#150083 - 12/23/03 06:04 AM Re: Regal is nicer than GP IMO
kwiksilver Offline
Loc: Annapolis, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
Hmmm... must be a perception thing. I thought the Buick was roomier. The numbers I've seen from the spec sheets seems to show very little actual differences. Most are within 1/2" of each other if they are different at all. The Regal does offer more headroom by 1.1" - but it has a 1.9" overall height difference.
That's what i thought.

96 Ebony Satin nitrous powered SHO
(sold)
#150084 - 12/30/03 11:36 AM Re: Regal is nicer than GP IMO
fiercebboy Offline
Loc: OKC
so, what were u doin in the back seat of the car? wink muhahahahhahaa
#150085 - 07/14/10 06:30 PM Re: Regal is nicer than GP IMO
fbodyNATION Offline
Loc: new orleans
i had a chance to buy a 2001 GS Regal it was light green/dark grey two toned from the factory light grey leather seats(look like they never been sat on) sunroof and every option offered in 2001 this car was super super clean and rode loke a new car had like 32,000 miles but the guy wouldnt work with me on the price @ al,anyway the GS Regal is a great car i really like them but the GTP is more sportier IMO the GTP's interior is way more cleaner than the Regal i like the GP better but i am still going to get me a GS Regal tho
#213468 - 04/24/11 05:47 AM Re: Regal is nicer than GP IMO [Re: Redshift]
bdseeker Offline
Hi, Nice to meet you.