Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150319 - 08/04/03 10:10 PM Limited slip differential
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
Has anyone insatalled a limited slip in their tranny? Does it really solve the torque steer problem. Because man when I floor it, especially when passing someone on the back roads, it is hard to keep it strait. I have an 03 GTP with all the options except HUD(I didn't want to mount my EZ Pass on my license plate).

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#150320 - 08/06/03 12:05 PM Re: Limited slip differential
davemac Offline
Loc: Boston
Unless you're spinning the wheels, I don't see how limited-slip would affect torque steer, but I'm no authority.

Quote:
with all the options except HUD(I didn't want to mount my EZ Pass on my license plate).
I don't see how the two are related. Some car models can't have a windshield transponder because of the composition of the glass (see another thread for the details) but the HUD option wouldn't affect that unless there was some bizarre coupling of options.
#150321 - 08/06/03 06:42 PM Re: Limited slip differential
jvojr Offline
I have two customers that have the HUD option and both are unable to use EZ-Pass on their windshield. They were told that they needed the license plate mounting kit because their windshield affected the EZ-Pass's operation. I spoke to the service dept at the pontiac dealer and Tom(the service mgr) told me that customers complain all the time about that same problem.

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#150322 - 08/07/03 11:11 AM Re: Limited slip differential
davemac Offline
Loc: Boston
Well there's nothing like experience, but I have no trouble with the 04 and 97 GTP, both HUD-equipped with windshield-mounted transponder. However, the 02 Bonneville SSEi reportedly had trouble with the transponder and I used the license plate variety while I had that. But again, it was a glass composition thing, not a HUD thing.
#150323 - 08/08/03 05:40 AM Re: Limited slip differential
jvojr Offline
I thought that the windshield had some coating on it that made the HUD work properly.

#150324 - 08/26/03 02:48 PM Re: Limited slip differential
GTPBoost Offline
Loc: Kent, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by jvojr:
I thought that the windshield had some coating on it that made the HUD work properly.
No coating, it meets a clarity standard needed for good HUD display.

RC
#150325 - 08/26/03 02:52 PM Re: Limited slip differential
GTPBoost Offline
Loc: Kent, WA
BTW, regarding the limiited slip, this is only something you need to be looking at if you want to drag race. It's not going to do anything to correct the side to side pull you get on roads with deep wheel tracks. That is not actual torque steer. Actual torque steer takes place even on perfectly flat surface and it's something that the GTP suffers very little from. What you are experiencing is a product of power application and FWD.

RC