Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151593 - 06/29/03 09:47 AM My New Intake
Fluid Offline
Loc: Alaska, USA
I finally got around to making a cone filter intake for the '04. I used a large 6" x 9" K&N filter and a few pieces of plumbing parts to build it. So far I'm pleased, noting at least a small performance increase along with that satisfying blower whine!

This is not a cold air intake, but I decided to make this first before trying the FWI. Tests I've made in other cars with underhood cone filters indicate that usually after moving 50-60 feet the intake temperature drops to close to ambient anyway, at least up here in Alaska summers. In truly hot climates a fenderwell intake will likely be better.

This one replaces the restrictive corrigated factory tube between the TB and the MAF sensor, giving a straighter shot from the filter. Combined with the large filter, the pressure losses for the intake will be very minimal. I'll see what the true performance advangate is at the track this weekend. laugh

#151594 - 06/29/03 01:01 PM Re: My New Intake
Cliff Cherry Offline
Loc: Caldwell, NJ
Looks good Jay - After careful consideration I've decided against any performance mods for now because North Jersey is extremely limited in street performance driving (my main TAPshift function is to downshift to 2nd behind slower traffic :rolleyes: to save my brakes and to get a slightly better jump (if/when they turn off) to the next slow car ahead a short ways :rolleyes: ), and I don't have the time (or cash for that matter) to take it to the track.

However, I salute you and others who are able to get out and push the Comp G to its limits cheers

Just checkin' in periodically :-D
#151595 - 06/29/03 11:37 PM Re: My New Intake
Fluid Offline
Loc: Alaska, USA
Flogged the car at the track today - managed a best of 14.5@96.3 mph. Considering that my SC belt was slipping that wasn't too bad. There's more there with the present mods when I learn how to drive it and can get some better fuel. Still, lots of fun and well under the published 'factory' times. laugh
#151596 - 06/30/03 12:19 AM Re: My New Intake
Cliff Cherry Offline
Loc: Caldwell, NJ
Glad you had a good time and a good time. I'm sure you'll soon be battling Chuck for 13 supremacy, especially with the advantage of the cool Alaskan summers usa !

Just checkin' in periodically :-D