Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153233 - 06/30/06 10:42 AM Defective Chrome Rims On 04 GTP
peej Offline
Loc: New England
I have been loosing air (about 11 #'s every 4 days) from my rear tire. I thought the valve stem was bad so I took it to a tire shop to get the stem replaced. I was told that the rim is all corroded around where the valve sealed and that eventually I would need a new rim. The car is never in harsh weather and its fairly new. Anyone else here have a similar problem and did pontiac step up and replace it?

thanks in advance

sincerely

pj
#153234 - 06/30/06 03:11 PM Re: Defective Chrome Rims On 04 GTP
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Never heard of that before. Sorry.
#153235 - 06/30/06 06:55 PM Re: Defective Chrome Rims On 04 GTP
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I have heard of corrosion causing an air leak. The corrosion causes the tire or stem to not seal properly.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#153236 - 07/02/06 02:46 PM Re: Defective Chrome Rims On 04 GTP
ILikeMyGP Offline
Loc: Michigan
well i've not only heard of it being a prob, but i've also worked on them.

in other words it is very possible. i don't think ponitac would cover it though. it is most likly not covered due to rims being more likly veiwed as equipment that waers itself out. even with that said i would still go to the dealer and see if they will do anything.

also the main tire brand that i have seen it from is michelin. i think it has somethign to do with the chemical composition of the rubber they use.
#153237 - 07/31/06 09:31 PM Re: Defective Chrome Rims On 04 GTP
JP Offline
Loc: MI
I have a 2004 Grand Prix GTP - it's sharp but the rims are DEFECTIVE AS HECK!! They are peeling in the inner side of the rim. When I wash the rims I have to make sure I don’t cut my hands and my rag gets covered in metal like shavings.

The dealership said they knew that the GTP’s are having this problem but all they could do is put a coating on them which would prolong the process. They also told me to put a heavy wax on them to protect them. Well – that is great advice but these rims should be replaced before they hurt the people that clean or work on these cars.
#153238 - 08/01/06 11:56 PM Re: Defective Chrome Rims On 04 GTP
ILikeMyGP Offline
Loc: Michigan
here is something to remember about crome rims is that they get bad in anything, but ideal condidtions

that is the weakness about crome rims. one thing that helps, when done from the start is to clean them about daily, but who wants to do that.

if any salt ever gets on them the salt will start eating through them almost imediatly. dirt isn't great for them, but they can usually deal with it to an extent.